Author Topic: Darenth Park Hospital records  (Read 1378 times)

Offline hevside

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Darenth Park Hospital records
« on: Thursday 17 January 19 20:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi. Can anyone tell me how I can obtain the in_patient records for my grandfather. He was Edwin Bright and in 1901 he was a patient at Darenth Park aged 26. In 1911 he was still there aged 35. He married in 1913 and lived till 1953. Im in Lancashire so any advice please. Thanks.

Offline grandarog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Original Ancestor
    • View Profile
Re: Darenth Park Hospital records
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 January 19 20:36 GMT (UK) »
 Hi ,hevside :)
                   What ever his problem as an Imbecile in 1901 was, he was actually a Worker as a Ward Helper, not a patient on  1911 list with his infirmity listed as Imbecile Congenital . So obviously had recovered or proved he was sane.
                   I believe i have seen mention somewhere that DP was purely an Asylum before it became a General Hospital.
                   The records on National Archives appear to only date from 1913 onwards .Which is probably the date it changed .
                   Your best chance is to find if there are any records available to check or view, is to contact the Kent Archives dept on the link .
https://www.kent.gov.uk/leisure-and-community/history-and-heritage/kent-archives/visit-the-kent-history-and-library-centre/address-and-opening-times#
 Good luck Roger
WAGHORN/E
KENWARD
HARRIS
DIXON
MARSHALL
MERCER
CARE
FAGG
RUSSELL
WOODRUFF      

All these  Families were Born and Bred in Kent

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 January 19 20:44 GMT (UK) »
Darenth came under the Metropolitan Asylums Board, so the patient records are at London Metropolitan Archives (H61/DA).

Most, if not all, of the registers for the period of your interest are closed to public access under the 100-year privacy rule for hospital records, because there are entries in each register that fall within that closure period.

You can ask LMA archivists to search and extract the records for you (their standard research fee is £80/hr). Unfortunately, no-one else will be able to access them.

ask.lma AT cityoflondon.gov.uk

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 17 January 19 21:06 GMT (UK) »
Different Edwin Bright, surely? And age is out for Croydon man.
Previously was said to be in Malta in 1901
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=773194.msg6262733#msg6262733

Offline hevside

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 17 January 19 21:19 GMT (UK) »
Wow jonw. Thank you so much. I am just trying to pull together loads of info and had completely forgotten about that previous find. Good job someone's awake! Many thanks all. Heather