Author Topic: Riddell Robson Bell b.1875 d.1939.  (Read 516 times)

Offline FTDM

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Riddell Robson Bell b.1875 d.1939.
« on: Tuesday 08 January 19 20:03 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know anything about Riddell Robson Bell b 1875 d 1939? Actually I already know quite a bit about him: he was educated at a boarding school in Harrogate, became a farmer, changed his name to Humble in order to claim an inheritance, and was first fined and later banned for repeatedly drinking and driving (the Yorkshire Post talked about a 'rich man's failing'). He was married for the second time to Jane Gowland in 1910.

However, it is his first marriage that is my main interest. In 1901 he married Maria Gillie Atkins, a distant relative. While Bell was a wealthy farmer aged 26, she had been a maid on the farm and was merely 16. She was the daughter of a soldier (my great grandfather) and was born while he was serving in Dublin (ignore what the 1901 census says about her birth). Sometime between 1901 and 1910 she must have died as Riddell Robson Bell is described as a widower at the time of his second marriage.

The problem is I can't find any record of her death. There do not appear to have been any children. Her trail goes cold. Does anyone know how I might find out what happened to her?

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Riddell Robson Bell b.1875 d.1939.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 January 19 12:07 GMT (UK) »
The problem is I can't find any record of her death. There do not appear to have been any children. Her trail goes cold. Does anyone know how I might find out what happened to her?

There is a record of a still born child to parents Riddell Robson Bell and Maria Gillie Atkins in 1902 in Cottesloe, Western Australia.

Then there is a death in Western Australia in 1902, Maria Gillie Bell aged 18, father's name George, mothers name unknown, place of birth Dublin.

The search page for W. A here https://bdm.justice.wa.gov.au/_apps/pioneersindex/default.aspx

Announcement in the 'West Australia' 3rd April 1902.

BELL: The friends of Mr Riddell R. Bell, Timber Merchant, Cottesloe, are respectfully invited to follow the remains of his late beloved wife, Maria, to the place of interment, the Church of England portion of the Karrakatta Cemetery. The funeral is appointed to leave his residence, Perth to freemantle Road, Cottesloe, at 2.30 o'clock THIS ( Thursday) AFTERNOON.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 January 19 12:32 GMT (UK) »
Riddell Robson Bell was still in Cottesloe, W.A.,  in August 1906, when his partnership with George Greenway as Timber Merchants was dissolved. (Blackwood Times, 12th September 1906)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 January 19 13:12 GMT (UK) »
nice find JenB :-)

Burial details at Karrakata Cemetery

http://www2.mcb.wa.gov.au/NameSearch/details.php?id=KB00001660

Boo

Offline FTDM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 09 January 19 14:03 GMT (UK) »
Wow! That's an amazing find. It's a question that's been perplexing me for quite a while. Thank you so much. I'd never have thought to look as far afield as that. It all seems to fit: Maria Bell's father was George Henry Atkins (my great grandfather). What a story!

By quirk of fate, Maria's half-sister (my grandmother) married an Australian-born (British) husband a few years later, but that's just a coincidence.

Would I be pushing my luck to wonder whether any records of Maria and R R Bell's travel or emigration to Australia might exist?

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 09 January 19 14:08 GMT (UK) »
I’ve had a quick look but can’t yet find any records of their emigration.
They must have travelled out fairly quickly after their marriage, if they were settled in W.A by April 1902.
It give a fairly narrow window within which to search.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 09 January 19 14:37 GMT (UK) »
Is this  Riddell and future wife Jane travelling as husband and wife from Liverpool to Montreal as tourists in 1909? https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-6P5V-8W?i=4&cc=1823240

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 09 January 19 21:15 GMT (UK) »
There are quite a few hits on Trove newspapers database in the early 1900s in Western Australia for this man, including this one dated 12 October 1906 where his partnership in the R.R. Bell & Co (Timber Merchants) was dissolved and the other partner took over the business.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01n8b/

Boo

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 09 January 19 22:09 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know anything about Riddell Robson Bell b 1875

I think he was born 1874, not 1875.

The only birth registration for a Riddell Bell is in Q2 1874, Castle W. district

and he appears to have been baptised at Newburn on 29th July 1874.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-6WGB-LK?i=275&cc=1309819&cat=1809361

Boo