Author Topic: Shrouds of the Somme - Able Seaman Edward McAuliffe  (Read 1786 times)

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Shrouds of the Somme - Able Seaman Edward McAuliffe
« Reply #9 on: Monday 21 January 19 17:54 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much for taking the time to answer that, MaxD!   
AF being Army Form makes so much more sense than everything I was trying to make it stand for.  When I saw the father's address, I kept trying to make the F stand for Family and went off on a totally wrong tangent.

Again, I really appreciate it!

Offline lormc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 20 January 23 19:36 GMT (UK) »
edward Mcauliffe was my great uncle ( my grandfathers brother ) the letters he wrote to his parents you could read he was so scared yet proud to be serving  far to young
mitchell /hewson,hunter/ mcauliffe /saunders/brown/ mitchell/woodmass/wylam /mahony/scully

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 23 January 23 12:06 GMT (UK) »
Anyone interested in that sector of The Somme ,would be interested to read “ “Covenant with Death “,by John Harris, a graphic account of the first day of The Battle of The Somme.

I think the soldiers portrayed would be “ The  Sheffield Pals” .
They were in the exact area, near a tributary  of The Somme, the pretty little River Ancre , between Thiepval   Beaumont Hamel,Auchonvillers, Gommecourt.
We have stood in the bivouac trench they occupied the night before the first day . Sheffield Pals memorial is there in a little “ Park” very close to Serre.

Also Newfoundland Park ,where so very many of the volunteers from that island were killed.
The book does not have an ISBN number, printed in 1961, by The Companion Book Club.
Its final sentence summed up such Regiments
 “ Two years in the making ,Ten minutes in the destroying”.

You won’t be dry eyed after reading it.
Viktoria.