Author Topic: COMPLETED - Why does Ancestry show me with my married surname?  (Read 1317 times)

Online KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
COMPLETED - Why does Ancestry show me with my married surname?
« on: Friday 18 January 19 20:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I have access to a few of my relatives DNA results/matches.  When 'logging in' on their results/matches, I can see that I come up as a match but with my married name, rather than my maiden name.  Why?  For the purposes of Ancestry and Genealogy, I am Carson (my maiden name) not Anderson (my husband's name).  Anyone looking at matches with Carson, would probably just skip past me because I'm recorded as Anderson!

Can anyone see a benefit for this, because I can't.

Kit
Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast? & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath? & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Cunningham: Heworth, Gateshead & Widnes & St Helens, originating Ireland
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //
Stewart: Angus // Watson: Moray & Jamaica // Watt: Cairnie

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
Re: Why does Ancestry show me with my married surname?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 19 January 19 12:25 GMT (UK) »
I can only assume that somewhere along the line you have told them your married name, probably when you ordered the kit.

The US style (and hence Ancestry's) is to use "givenname maidenname marriedname" when referring to married women.

I've never seen that as sensible for normal usage, but it certainly makes it easier to interpret a grave inscription.

There ought to be a way to adjust it to your liking. Their support line ought to be able to help.

Then again, my grandma's generation seemed to ignore married names. Her best friend was always "Doris Woods", ignoring the 50+ years that she had been married to Joe Holmes.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 19 January 19 12:45 GMT (UK) »
I have never used my husband's last name for anything!
However, some family history software will automatically give a man's last name to a woman once the relationship is shown as married but not as partner.
I haven't found a way to prevent it either!
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline weste

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 19 January 19 12:50 GMT (UK) »
Have you checked your settings on the DNA page? The little cog wheel on the right handside.

Online KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 19 January 19 13:44 GMT (UK) »
Thanks all.  When paying with a debit/credit card with 'Anderson' as the surname, I expect suppliers might query why I say my name is 'Carson' for delivery?  Anyway, many thanks for your thoughts. Weste, I shall check the settings page and see if there is a way to change it, otherwise I'll contact customer service.

Myluck! - If I was marrying my husband in this day and age, I might well do the same thing.  I expect it's especially necessary if you are a professional and have a certain reputation.  However, after over 30 years, he might get upset if I start using my maiden name.  Retirement beckons :-)

Kit

Added: Thanks Weste - change now made!
Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast? & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath? & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Cunningham: Heworth, Gateshead & Widnes & St Helens, originating Ireland
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //
Stewart: Angus // Watson: Moray & Jamaica // Watt: Cairnie

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 20 January 19 14:46 GMT (UK) »
Myluck! - If I was marrying my husband in this day and age, I might well do the same thing.  I expect it's especially necessary if you are a professional and have a certain reputation.  However, after over 30 years, he might get upset if I start using my maiden name.  Retirement beckons :-)

I was ahead of my time keeping mine and after my thirty years the OH would wonder what I was up to if I changed mine! When newly engaged I remember an aunt asking me what my married name was going to be and I answered my then (and now and forever!) last name. She perked up and asked "has he the same name as you?" and once I answered I was lectured on respect for my spouse.....
Over the years I struggled with schools insisting on calling me Mrs..., people questioning the name of my next-of-kin, assumptions of all sorts, even my husband has been awarded my name on several ocassions over the years! Which to be fair he has taken to quite well.

My pet peeve on names is not using just one - I know people who are one name at work and another everywhere else. If you change, change; if you don't, don't!

Followed by changing your name for a job; Hilary Rodham kept her name in the mid 1970s when she married against the norms of the times but showing a liberal, feminist view. It was an issue for her husband when he stood for governor a few years later. In the 1980s she became Hilary Rodham Clinton to aid his political career. In 2000 while campaigning in her own right she campaigned as Hilary and her media advertisements dropped both surnames; by the end of the decade she was Hilary Clinton! What's in a name I ask you?
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Re: COMPLETED - Why does Ancestry show me with my married surname?
« Reply #6 on: Monday 21 January 19 16:45 GMT (UK) »
Then again, my grandma's generation seemed to ignore married names. Her best friend was always "Doris Woods", ignoring the 50+ years that she had been married to Joe Holmes.

My gran and mum did the same, but it came in very helpful when researching the family tree and recognising the names they had used - coming across a name and who they were married to I was forever saying to myself - "So that's who he/she was".  ???