Author Topic: 1827 Birmingham St Martin’s marriage  (Read 836 times)

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1827 Birmingham St Martin’s marriage
« on: Friday 18 January 19 21:56 GMT (UK) »
I would be grateful if anyone could shed further light on a marriage I’ve found on FamilySearch. I was hoping that Findmypast would have an image of the original but this church seems not to be covered.

William Hickin married Ann Bradbury and any further info about bride or groom would be useful. I think he is the William Hickin who died in Lapworth in 1839 with Ann being a widow farmer there in 1841. It is probably them because a grandson of Ann was later given the middle name Bradbury.

Thanks,

Dave :)
ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1827 Birmingham St Martin’s marriage
« Reply #1 on: Friday 18 January 19 22:04 GMT (UK) »
William Hickin bachelor of this parish

Ann Bradbury widow of this parish

Marriage 16 July

Witnesses Robert Powell?
Alexander Saunders?

Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 18 January 19 22:09 GMT (UK) »
a little more detail
from image
St Martin Birmingham
page 87 entry 259
William Hickin Bachelor of the Parish
Ann Bradbury widow of the Parish
Marriage after banns by Chas John Tyler Minister
16 July 1827
witnesses Robert Powell Alexander Saunders all signed

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 18 January 19 22:46 GMT (UK) »
It seems although Ann was a widow hen she marriaed William Hickin -Bradbury was her maiden name not her name from her previous marriage
from image
Marriage Lapworth
Page 54 entry 199
Marriage by Licence 31 July 1810
by James Way curate
Henry Hill bachelor of the Parish
Anne bradbury spinster of the Parish
witnesses John bradbury & mary Dowing?
all signed

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 18 January 19 23:14 GMT (UK) »
there is a lengthy will which (as I interpet it ) Henry Hill has his brothers in law Thomas bradbury and William Bradbury as executors of the will - he mentions his dear wife Ann and wants the farm to be kepts working to maintain his wife Ann and his 4 children until they are 21  dated 14 Dec 1820 and proved at London 3 Aug 1821 and was sworn on oath before the judge by Thomas & William Bradbury.

so henry must have died 1820 -have not found a burial

there is a burial for William Hickin age 39
Lapworth no 392
30 Sept 1839
by Robert William Johns. officiating minister.

I cannot find a birth for William in lapworth - I am wondering if Holehouse farm was Henry Hills originally - maybe William Hickin came from elsewhere???

Suz

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 19 January 19 08:36 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the replies. Suzard, this is really helpful. I can now seen where the Hill children of the 1841 Census of Lapworth fit in. Ann was 87 when she was buried in Lapworth in 1874, so she was some 13 years older than William Hickin. I can’t see why the marriage would have taken place in Birmingham if both parties had been engaged in farming in Lapworth, so maybe William was from Brum.
I will try to follow these leads.

p.s. found Henry Hill’s burial in Lapworth on FindMyPast and the baptism of Ann Brawdbury (sic) in 1790 in Lapworth (baptised at same time as a brother, so almost certainly the Ann born 1787). Ann Hickin seems to have lived at Hole House Farm, Lapworth, with son John Hill, ‘til she died.

ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 19 January 19 12:59 GMT (UK) »
this may fit in somewhwere
Land Tax1830 Lapworth
Charles Hickin House & land £2 10s 0d
William Hickin House and land £4 17s 0d
William Hickin Land £4 16s 0d
Henry Hill House and Land £8 13s 4d

maybe William Hickin and Ann didn't want to marry in the same place as Ann had married previously - they both must have stayed in Birmingham for the required time pre marriage to be "of the Parish"

Suz

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 19 January 19 15:49 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks suzard, this is interesting. I haven’t come across Land Tax before. I’ve found an 1811 baptism in Lapworth of Charles Hickin son of Charles. It therefore seems unlikely, unless he was already several years old when baptised, that Charles of the Land Tax record was Charles junior. I wonder whether the two William Hickin records relate to the same individual or to two different William Hickins (father and son?).

I’ve found the marriage of Charles Hickken (signs Hickin) in Solihull in 1797. They had a son Robert baptised in 1806 in Lapworth. They had a son Thomas c. 1804 (census info) for whom I haven’t found a baptism, so maybe they also had son William in 1800? Quite a gap before the first child otherwise.

I suppose much hinges on whether there are two William Hickins in this tax record.

It seems likely that the marriage was in Birmingham for the reason you suggest, but I wonder how usual it was for a widow to revert to her maiden name in this way?