Author Topic: Stuck trying to trace Great Grandfather, born London in approx 1877  (Read 5703 times)

Offline Sally Brealey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Stuck trying to trace Great Grandfather, born London in approx 1877
« Reply #45 on: Sunday 20 January 19 14:14 GMT (UK) »
Of course!!

I may need some more advice to and of course it may come to nothing but I'll keep you informed.

Offline Sally Brealey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Sunday 27 January 19 18:40 GMT (UK) »
Yes I will create a mini seperate tree for them today and try and see what I can find and also order that birth certificate.

Please do come back to this thread and let us know how you get on.

Sorry for taking a little while to come back, we have been doing some work on the Jacobs tree but didnt want to get carried away until we got the birth certificate back.

I can confirm that the DOB is the same as the 1939 census, between this and the other evidence such as job, area born and his daughter name being the same as the mother we are now as sure as think we ever will be that this is his family.

To be honest bookbox, there is not enough words I can say or tell you how much this has meant to his family. We are still in shock and awe at you finding this family and I want to thank you so so much.

We will keep working on the family and we may find out more but I think we may never know why he changed his name or moved to Nottingham but as the family seem to be strict practising Jews, it may well have been due to his choice of wife.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Sunday 27 January 19 19:28 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for coming back with an update. Very glad you’ve got a satisfactory result.

There was a Jewish community in Nottingham at the time Harry moved there, albeit a small one. He may have moved for work reasons, and left the faith only when he married.

https://www.jewishgen.org/jcr-uk/Community/notts1/index.htm

Neither Harry nor his son Claude can have been practising Orthodox Jews when they died, because both were cremated. Traditionally, the Orthodox faith doesn’t allow cremation, though nowadays it’s becoming a little more common. The cremation records for Harry and Claude, at Wilford Hill, can be found at DeceasedOnline (free index, images pay-per-view).