Author Topic: Looking for GGG Faith Ravies  (Read 2462 times)

Offline Floozy

• RootsChat Senior
  • Susan
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for GGG Faith Ravies
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 20 January 19 02:58 GMT (UK) »
I think I found Eliza’s birth/baptism. As Burswell

8 August 1822

Baptised 16 August 1822
DEWSTOWE/DUSTOW, WADE, REED, ROGERS, GARRETT, HAY, KERR, BAS-TED HUSBAND  COOKE/COOK, GOWER, JEFFREYS,DAVIES, OATES or OATS, , GREASLEY/GREASLY, BIRD, BOSWELL, WILLEY, WHEADON, PARKER, ABBOTT?(maybe not related), JONES, QUINN, SCOTT, ISBESTER or ISBISTER?, LLOYD, RICHARDS, WHETTALL
Names come from Redruth, Cornwall, Wales, Scotland and possibly Ireland. And other parts of England.
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 20 January 19 03:00 GMT (UK) »
I already posted it along with various siblings at post #11 #16
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Floozy

• RootsChat Senior
  • Susan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 20 January 19 06:41 GMT (UK) »
 Just got home. It’s easier if I get on my computer and not my phone

I’m a bit unsure still about Faiths maiden name and the different Raynes name especially the deaths. When clearly A Faith still had children  lol

I already posted it along with various siblings at post #11 #16
DEWSTOWE/DUSTOW, WADE, REED, ROGERS, GARRETT, HAY, KERR, BAS-TED HUSBAND  COOKE/COOK, GOWER, JEFFREYS,DAVIES, OATES or OATS, , GREASLEY/GREASLY, BIRD, BOSWELL, WILLEY, WHEADON, PARKER, ABBOTT?(maybe not related), JONES, QUINN, SCOTT, ISBESTER or ISBISTER?, LLOYD, RICHARDS, WHETTALL
Names come from Redruth, Cornwall, Wales, Scotland and possibly Ireland. And other parts of England.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 20 January 19 11:56 GMT (UK) »
I’m a bit unsure still about Faiths maiden name and the different Raynes name especially the deaths. When clearly A Faith still had children  lol

Sorry, I'm not really understanding what you're unsure about?  Do you have a copy of the death certificate or is 'Ravies' just from the index?  If it's the index then it may be worth ordering as it could simply be that the copy is faded, and 'Raynes' has been 'best guessed' as Ravies by whoever has transcribed it - I can certainly see how that could happen, especially if the bottom/loop of the 'y' has faded. 

Incidentally, there is a report in various newspapers about the death of Mary Ann Boswell, wife of Edward [Edmund] in 1844.  It's definitely this family as his mother, named as Faith Boswell, was called as a witness.  Although the inquest determined it was natural causes, the jury were very critical of his previous brutal treatment of her.  On the night of the inquest hundreds of people surrounded the house, and this continued at her funeral, with people calling out 'murderer' and pulling at his hair etc to the extent that the minister had to interrupt the funeral service to try and calm things down. 

NB Although the newspapers report name as Edward, the burial record states Mary Ann Buswell, wife of Edmund.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Floozy

• RootsChat Senior
  • Susan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 21 January 19 07:32 GMT (UK) »
Jomot I only have the index. On Vic Bmd. I appreciate your help but I can not afford buying certificates.

Where did you find the info about Mary Ann Boswell.

Eliza her sister came to Australia in 1848 my GG Grandma. 

It’s a shame that our family did not record their stories. Some did but not this family from what I have researched so far.  Regards Susan

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 21 January 19 09:15 GMT (UK) »
Jomot I only have the index. On Vic Bmd. I appreciate your help but I can not afford buying certificates.

Where did you find the info about Mary Ann Boswell.

Eliza her sister came to Australia in 1848 my GG Grandma. 

It’s a shame that our family did not record their stories. Some did but not this family from what I have researched so far.  Regards Susan

The Mary Ann Jomot is referring to is not the child of Samuel and Faith.

See replies # 6 and #15 for a clear picture of who she is in this family.

I think you need to review your opinion of the accuracy of the transcription on the index in Victoria.

In my opinion, the surname of Faith is a "best attempt" on the part of the transcriber from the original hand written record.

The information, as Jomot will tell you was  a newspaper item.
The witness was the mother in law of the deceased
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Floozy

• RootsChat Senior
  • Susan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 23 January 19 10:55 GMT (UK) »
My mistake Sparret. she was the wife of Edmund (Mary Ann ) I was doing this on my phone app and I didn't make it clear at the time.

Also I was referring to Vic Bmd about Eliza's parents not about Mary Ann who Edmund married.

sorry for confusion

regards Susan

Offline Floozy

• RootsChat Senior
  • Susan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 28 January 19 03:53 GMT (UK) »
Jamot. Could you please tell me the source of this information please.  Thanks Susan

Incidentally, there is a report in various newspapers about the death of Mary Ann Boswell, wife of Edward [Edmund] in 1844.  It's definitely this family as his mother, named as Faith Boswell, was called as a witness.  Although the inquest determined it was natural causes, the jury were very critical of his previous brutal treatment of her.  On the night of the inquest hundreds of people surrounded the house, and this continued at her funeral, with people calling out 'murderer' and pulling at his hair etc to the extent that the minister had to interrupt the funeral service to try and calm things down. 

NB Although the newspapers report name as Edward, the burial record states Mary Ann Buswell, wife of Edmund.
[/quote]

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 28 January 19 04:02 GMT (UK) »
20 April 1844 - Leicestershire Mercury
20 April 1844 - Leicester Chronicle (mentions Faith Buswell as mother-in-law of the deceased)