Author Topic: The Griffins of Moneyglass, Parish of Duneane  (Read 1128 times)

Offline Geraldine Griffin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Griffins of Moneyglass, Parish of Duneane
« on: Saturday 19 January 19 10:41 GMT (UK) »
Hello, my great great grandfather, Patrick Griffin, lived in Moneyglass in the mid-19th century. There are several Patricks at that time and because the 'mother' notation on my great grandfather Henry Griffin's marriage registration is left blank, I can't identify which 'Patrick Griffin' is his father. If anyone has a family tree with a Patrick, father of Henry (and possibly Hugh), father of Alice, Henry, Hugh, Lizzie, Anne Jane and Sarah I would be very interested to hear from you.
Henry Griffin (my great grandfather) married Elizabeth Campbell from Hannahstown and they came to live in the Lower Falls Road, English Street, Crane Street and Pound Street.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The Griffins of Moneyglass, Parish of Duneane
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 19 January 19 12:17 GMT (UK) »
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 19 January 19 19:42 GMT (UK) »
Yes, there are three 'Patrick Griffins' - I just can't work out which is the right one, because his son Henry's (my great grandfather) mother is not listed on his marriage certificate. It shows that Patrick is his father and that both parents come from Duneane Parish, but which one is the right Patrick I cannot work out. I have searched the microfilm of the parish register, but it is clear that some of the pages have been torn out. Also the names Hugh, Henry and Patrick are repeated throughout the Griffins of Duneane and Moneyglass so it's difficult to sort out who is who. I was hoping that someone in the direct line might know how the families are connected.
Many thanks, Geraldine.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 19 January 19 20:26 GMT (UK) »
You haven't given any idea of dates so I had to check 1901 and 1911 census records-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Smithfield/Pound_Street/974089
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Smithfield/Pouna_Street/186747

What about all the information you were given on another forum? You haven't mentioned most of it here so we'd waste time trying to help you only to find you have already been given these details.
https://www.irelandxo.com/ireland-xo/message-board/looking-griffin-relatives
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 21 January 19 10:04 GMT (UK) »
I have searched the records very thoroughly and I have not been able to resolve the issue. The reason I am posting on the boards if to see if someone from the family might have 'handed down' knowledge that could help. I also took a DNA test in the hope that the genetic link would turn up.
I wasn't expecting anyone else to resolve the ambiguous records, that is not possible, and I fear we have left it too late for a 'family' solution. But it was worth a try and perhaps someone taking DNA test in the future might throw some further light on the situation.
So, anyone out there from the Duneane parish who truns up a genetic link to Geraldine Griffin I would love to hear from you.
Regards.

Offline lulubell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 28 February 20 22:13 GMT (UK) »
I think my griffins came from Dunneane Antrim
  Bernard Griffin l found on griffiths valuation children l know of are James John and Thomas
   The names that are repeated in our family are John James Bernard patrick Thomas