Author Topic: Peter McLinden  (Read 1105 times)

Offline brussells1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Peter McLinden
« on: Saturday 19 January 19 10:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi I have a Peter McLinden on 1861 census, originally born in Ireland 1826 living in Rosemarkie, Ross and Cromarty. He married a Mary O'Donnell and had 3 children they then moved to Rothesay. I can find him in the 1871 Census and he is recorded on his last daughter Margaret's birth as being present in 1876 he then disappears from Scottish census records and I can find no death record under his name. His wife continues to be recorded on census records until she dies in 1907 when its noted she is his widow and he is recorded as a gardener deceased. She is not recorded as widowed on records up until 1901 and I must assume either her husband deserted her and moved overseas or he was residing elsewhere during census records. Interestingly on one record she is living on private means but I am not sure how as her father was a coal miner and Peter a labourer. I cant find him on any other cencus records in Scotland matching his data and cant find a death record under close matching name or age. There is another Peter McLinden same birth date but he could not have lived in 2 places at the same time and the parents of the other Peter are incorrect, he is also a stone mason and my relative was a labourer. Our Peter's mother was Ann Trainer and father Bernard McLinden Farmer. I tried phoenetic search with age on Scotlands People but cant find a death and it costs a fortune going into every possible death entry, I tried several possible matches in Rothesay but once certificates were opened they didnt tie up with his occupation or parents. Can anyone suggest an avenue to search? Many thanks
Lang, Campbell, Proudfoot, Bell, More, Macguigan, McAlinden, Young, Hyman, Hayman, Hyndman, McMillan

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Peter McLinden
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 19 January 19 11:07 GMT (UK) »
How about trying McAlinden Brussells.

Skoosh.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 19 January 19 11:33 GMT (UK) »
Just to check if I have the correct family, its slightly different to some of your post?
Cannot check all as SP down at present.

1861 Ross and Cromarty   
Peter Mclinden    32   (1829) - Stoneware & Rag Merchant
Mary Mclinden    26   
Roseann Mclinden 5   
Mary Mclinden    1   
Elizabeth Down    16   

1871 Ross and Cromarty   
Peter Mclinden            42   Trade Merchant
Mary A Mclinden    38   
Rose A Mclinden    13   
Mary T Mclinden    11   

1881/1891 Mary Ann McLinden in Rothesay, plus Rose Ann 1881 & Margaret age 4 in 1881 & 14 in 1891. Margaret was born in Rothesay in 1877 on census as know you.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline brussells1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 19 January 19 11:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Skoosh

Thank you I have tried all sorts, even asked Scotlands People if they had any suggestions as I found an error in a marriage record they had transcribed at Peter John Trandor instead of Peter McLinden.

I tried all deaths in the area from 1876 up to 1907 just using an age instead of a name but it would cost a fortune going into all the possibilities but thank you. Should I post separately in the Rothesay section as I believe this is may be where he died if he remained in Scotland?

Thank you again for your response.
Lang, Campbell, Proudfoot, Bell, More, Macguigan, McAlinden, Young, Hyman, Hayman, Hyndman, McMillan

Offline brussells1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 19 January 19 11:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Col C

Yes the information you logged is what I have found so far. I found Mary's death in Rothesay 1907 but cant find Peter after 1871.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 19 January 19 11:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi All  :)

SP has a death for a Peter Linden in 1880 , age 56 , Rothesay Bute.

The 1881 LDS Census on SP(Mc Linden) has Mary Ann as widowed.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline themonkeymonkey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 19 January 19 12:56 GMT (UK) »
It is your Peter that died in 1880, parents given as Bernard Linden and Nancy Trainer, he died at the Hospital in Rothesay 23rd March 1880.  James Linden (possibly says brother) was witness.
Manson, Wilson, Copland, Craighead, Youngson, Ross, Thomson, Smith, Horn

Offline brussells1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 19 January 19 13:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ev

Thank you so much. I looked at the census on Ancestry and couldnt see widowed but assumed that the death would be between 1876 and 1880.

Thank you very much.