Author Topic: Mrs Hatt and child postcard Date please  (Read 1628 times)

Offline Peterichards

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mrs Hatt and child postcard Date please
« Reply #9 on: Monday 21 January 19 17:50 GMT (UK) »
Great photo, with their expressions pure gold. I couldn't resist giving it a clean. :)
Peter
Thanks McGroger its that expression that keeps me searching

Offline Peterichards

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 21 January 19 18:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pete, This looks to be Edwardian, the divided back postcard was introduced in the U.K. In 1902. The little boy looks to be about 4 years old. Have you looked at Hatt Family Trees on Ancestry? There may be photos on there. If you type in the surname and location, then go onto "Pictures" in the left hand menus you may get lucky.
Carol
Thanks Treetotal for the info, tried the Ancestry pics no help but now I have a starting date for my search.

Offline Peterichards

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 21 January 19 18:12 GMT (UK) »
I would say around 1910

Thanks for your help Creasegirl this info will help my search.

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 21 January 19 19:07 GMT (UK) »
There's an Andrew William HATT on the London, England, Electoral Registers for 1915 at 8 Caesar (it says 8 Haggerston road on the index but the image is Caesar.)

If he's the one I think he is-he married Martha COLLINS 1910 and died 1914 Shoreditch.

Maureen

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 21 January 19 19:11 GMT (UK) »
Great find Maureen  8)
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 21 January 19 19:24 GMT (UK) »
Thanks,Carol. :)

One of those times when I hope I'm wrong,though. Very sadly it looks like their only child.Andrew C(Charles) HATT born 1912 died in 1921. :'(

Martha re-marries in 1918 to Thomas William PARKER (image on Ancestry).

Maureen

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 21 January 19 21:47 GMT (UK) »
There's an Andrew William HATT on the London, England, Electoral Registers for 1915 at 8 Caesar (it says 8 Haggerston road on the index but the image is Caesar.)

If he's the one I think he is-he married Martha COLLINS 1910 and died 1914 Shoreditch.

Maureen

A few years earlier there is a record of the couple giving their address as
6 Long St. Union St. Hackney Rd.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 22 January 19 02:40 GMT (UK) »

Perhaps you are in some way connected to the name COLLINS, Martha’s maiden name, as mentioned, or the name WYBROW which was the maiden name of her mother, Elizabeth.
There is information available on the family of Martha COLLINS if it turns out to be of relevance in your search.
Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gobbitt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 22 January 19 13:59 GMT (UK) »
Caesar Street seems to have been renamed as Nazrul Street since the 1970s, when my London atlas shows it running south from Cremer Street, between Kingsland Road and the railway line from Dalston Junction to Broad Street. Long Street is on the eastern side of that line.

I'm sure Maureen is on the right track, judging from the similarity of the handwriting on the postcard and the 1911 census form (6 Long Street, Shoreditch). But was the writer Mrs Hatt or her husband?  The capital M in those documents certainly resembles the one in Martha's 1910 signature (marriage register of St Paul's, Bethnal Green) although her Hatt in 1918 (marrying Thomas William Parker at St Jude's, Islington) is less convincing. Her mother (Elizabeth C. Collins, c.1847-1918?) may have written her own name in 1911; the C there is very different from those in the occupations column (Cutter ... + Cigar ...) which are much more like Martha's Collins in 1910.

So could the photo be as late as 1918, when Andrew C. Hatt was 5 years old while Martha was in mourning for her mother, or was it endorsed by Andrew W. Hatt (1882-1914)?

David