Author Topic: Thomas Locke of Billingborough  (Read 376 times)

Offline BourneGooner

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Thomas Locke of Billingborough
« on: Saturday 19 January 19 13:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi All

After the brilliant success I had posting the will of Adlard Lock on here and you excellent Rootschatters out there transcribing it for me I was hoping someone may be able to do the same with this document. I'm not even sure what this document is but it refers to Thomas Locke of Billingborough. So fingers crossed someone could transcribe it for me.

Regards

BourneGooner
Lock's of Rutland, Lincolnshire, Northamptonshire
Goff's of Nottinghamshire, Bedfordshire
Smith's - Gypsy descendants of Barthwell Smith

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Locke of Billingborough
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 19 January 19 14:26 GMT (UK) »
At a first glance, it’s a gift of land and property in Billingborough made in April 1462 by Thomas Lokke to Robert Atwell, his wife Elizabeth, John Hiche and John Atwell and their heirs, including a warranty for quiet possession. It recites some history of ownership, and locates the land in terms of neighbouring properties, naming several other people.

It’s in Latin, so if you would be satisfied with an English translation rather than a full transcription of the Latin, it would probably be quicker for anyone helping.

Offline BourneGooner

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 19 January 19 15:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bookbox

Many thanks for that, I'd be more than grateful for an English Translation. Or any help at all. As I say I was never sure what this document was, I found it in Lincoln Archives and was interested because it was listed as Thomas Lock, but I can't remember what else was noted about it, didn't take proper notes for this one :-(  (possible linking to my wife's line)

Any help would be gratefully received

BourneGooner

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 19 January 19 16:15 GMT (UK) »
Those present and to come should know that I, Thomas Lokke of Billingborough, have given, granted and by my present charter have confirmed to Robert Atwell of the same place and Elizabeth his wife, to John Hiche of Billingborough and to John Atwell of the same place, one messuage with buildings erected on it lying in Billingborough, together with all the lands, meadows, grazing and pastures belonging to the same messuage; which messuage, with buildings erected on it, lies between the tenement recently belonging to John, Viscount Beaumont, on the south side and the Duke of Lancaster’s land on the north side, and abutting onto the King’s highway on the east side and onto fields on the west side; which messuage, with the buildings erected on it and the land, meadows, grazing and pastures belonging to the same messuage with all their appurtenances, I held together with Henry Bardeney, now deceased, as the gift and feoffment of Simon Newton of Tetney, William Belle lately of Billingborough, John Elysson of the same place, William Doo of Boston, and John Philip lately of Billingborough; to have and to hold the aforesaid messuage, with the buildings erected on it and all the lands, meadows, grazing and pastures belonging to the same messuage with all their appurtenances, to the aforesaid Robert Atwell and Elizabeth his wife, John Hiche and John Atwell, their heirs and assigns, [to hold] of the chief lord of that fee for services thence owed and by right accustomed. And indeed I the aforesaid Thomas Lokke and my heirs will warrant and forever defend against all men the aforesaid messuage, with the buildings erected upon it and all the lands, meadows, grazing and pastures belonging to the same messuage with all their appurtenances, to the aforesaid Robert Atwell and Elizabeth his wife, John Hiche and John Atwell, their heirs and assigns; in witness of which matter I have affixed my seal to this present charter; these being witnesses, Nicholas Nelsthorp of Billingborough, Richard Spyan of the same place, John Warde of the same place, Robert Burton of the same place, William Marshall of the same place, and others. Given at Billingborough on the Tuesday next after the feast of St Mark the Evangelist in the second year of the reign of King Edward IV
[= 27 April 1462].

Offline BourneGooner

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 19 January 19 16:37 GMT (UK) »
Bookbox

I really don't know what to say, I'm staggered at your quick response and help with this it's brilliant.

I really am grateful thank you very much.

BourneGooner

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 19 January 19 16:46 GMT (UK) »
You're welcome. It helped to fill a dull grey afternoon.