Author Topic: William MASON wed Mary KING circa 1833 in Tynemouth?  (Read 9348 times)

Offline ThommoS

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William MASON wed Mary KING circa 1833 in Tynemouth?
« on: Sunday 20 January 19 08:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi, wondering if I can get some assistance on a lookup pls?......

I am trying to find the marriage reg. between William Mason and Mary King both from Tynemouth which I believe occurred in Tynemouth around 1833........reason for that belief being their son, Joseph William King Mason was born there in 1834. I do not know of any older children or whether he was the first so took that date as the latest the marriage could have been.

Aside from his birth record, I have all his certificates which gave me his parents etc and was hoping to work back from their marriage once I had a registration number to apply.

What I do know ...

father : William MASON occupation Grocer of Tynemouth
mother : Mary KING also of Tynemouth ...unfortunately no ages on either

Have found a possible birth/baptism of William MASON as 11 Apr 1803, died Jan 1872 Tynemouth but there is no corresponding Will/Probate I could see on his name and occupation; equally I do not have census access for verification at this stage so was hoping to start with his marriage to KING

Anyway if some kind soul could please point me in the right direction, of offer suggestions as to where I can start, would be most appreciative thanks......Tom

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: William MASON wed Mary KING circa 1833 in Tynemouth?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 January 19 09:12 GMT (UK) »

Aside from his birth record, I have all his certificates which gave me his parents etc and was hoping to work back from their marriage once I had a registration number to apply.

Registration did not start until mid 1837

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 January 19 09:14 GMT (UK) »

Sadly you won't find a birth certificate, because Civil Registration didn't begin until 1837.

The best one can hope for is a parish record of a marriage, but this won't give details of the couple's parents. There is a vague possibility it might show the groom's occupation, but this would be unusual.

Can you give more details of Joseph William King Mason please. Do you have him on any censuses with his parents? Do you have a baptism for him? I've had a quick look but can't see anything immediately.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 20 January 19 09:23 GMT (UK) »
Previous thread, in which you said William was a sea captain  :-\

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=661259.msg5068184#msg5068184

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 20 January 19 09:30 GMT (UK) »
Just for the record there is no William Mason - Mary King marriage at Tynemouth Parish Church (Christ Church) between 1822 and 1837

https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/NBL/Tynemouth/ChurchRecords

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 20 January 19 10:40 GMT (UK) »
Presumably you've got the 1854 marriage certificate between Joseph William King Mason and Sarah Blakey? What information did that give?
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=661259.msg5068238#msg5068238

There appears to have been a daughter, Mary Ann Kell Mason, birth registered 3rd q. 1858, Tynemouth 10b, 113. Mother's maiden name Blakey.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 20 January 19 11:15 GMT (UK) »
There appears to have been a daughter, Mary Ann Kell Mason, birth registered 3rd q. 1858, Tynemouth 10b, 113. Mother's maiden name Blakey.

Ah.... I see you already know this, from your previous thread.

Edit - there is a tree on Anc. that lists her marriage to Joseph in 1854, her working in North Shields as a servant in 1861 - listed as married - and her marriage to George Scrimshaw in 1865 in the name of Blakey.  There is one child listed to the first marriage Mary Ann Kell Mason born 1858 dies 1867 - who is living as grandaughter Mary A Kell in 1861 with Sarah Jane's mother Mary Ann Lough

Offline ThommoS

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 20 January 19 11:31 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou JenB and Rosie99

Here's what I have for the son Joseph...

I have a baptism (not sure from where as yet) that shows he was baptised 13 May 1834 at Nth Shields.

He married Sarah Jane Blakey on 19 Nov 1854 at Parish Church Tynemouth - I have the Certificate
That states his full name was Joseph William King Mason and was a mariner who resided in Tynemouth. He stated his father was William Mason, a grocer from Tynemouth. Blakey was a minor of Tynemouth whose father was Thomas Blakey, a butcher of Tynemouth.

The witnesses to that marriage were Ebenezer Kell Blakey (assumed her grandfather) and Mary Ann Robinson - Mason signed, Blakey made her mark

Sarah died (believed in child birth) in Dec 1854 - could not find a death entry and there was a child born Dec 1854 (possibly Cuthbert Cook Mason), that child also died Dec so assumed mother and child both died

Mason then migrated to Australia (am yet to trace that bit) but he married the widow Elizabeth Watts (nee Lowe) in July 1867 in Victoria...she was born in Ireland - I have that Marriage certificate also.

On it he stated he was a widower and that his first wife died Dec 1854, they had one child but that child was deceased. He stated his first marriage was at Nth Shields his occupation was a miner and he was 33 years old. He stated his parents were William Mason - a sea captain and his mother Mary Mason nee King. His bride, Elizabeth Watts was a widow, her previous husband had died in May 1865 and from marriage produced 9 children, 3 living and 6 deceased.

Mason had two children with Lowe in Australia born 1867 and 1870.

He died 14 March 1887 at the Prince George Hotel in Melbourne from inflammation of the heart and lung disease - prior his death his occupation was a gate keeper for Victorian Railways.....little bit different to sea captain

As you can see, there are different stories for both his and his parents occupations throughout his life...... but the one constant are the names of his parents....their marriage I was hoping to find...

edit from your latest post while I was typing... I was aware of the other 'daughter' Mary Mason but given he stated he only had the one child and that was deceased along with his wife in Dec 1854 - not sure what to make of it......  .

apologies.....more info.....Sarah Jane Blakey was the daughter of Thomas Blakey and Mary Ann Kell
 - her brother was also called Ebenezer Kell Blakey after his grandfather so it was he who witnessed her marriage ... Thomas Blakey died in 1849 and he was the second husband of Kell...she married her first husband Robert Boyd on 25 Dec 1830 - they had one child Elizabeth (1832-1895) - he died 1833...she then married Blakey on 28 Nov 1836 - they had 6 children.... he died 1849 - she then married John Lough in in 1851, they had one child named John Lough also....Lough sen. died in 1862....she passed away 1888 - at 75 years........all up she had 8 children by three husbands (that I know of at least :) ) fecund lot indeed....

Hope that makes sense and sorry to be so long winded...... there are quite a few listings on Ancestry as you may have found, I've not tested their accuracy nor have I ever posted any material to it..... so I cannot attest to the accuracy of the rest........hope that back ground help a bit :).

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 20 January 19 11:38 GMT (UK) »
The only baptism for a Joseph Mason on 13 May 1834 I can see at the moment was at Houghton-Le-Spring (County Durham)  -parents William occ Pitman & Mary - abode Crosfines Row

I will keep looking  ;D

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk