Author Topic: History of a house in Shardlow, Derbyshire  (Read 4852 times)

Offline overlandermatt

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: History of a house in Shardlow, Derbyshire
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 22 January 19 23:26 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the additional information! There will be lots to investigate in time (with another subscription of course!)...

Regarding the 1939 inhabitants, it would be interesting to know when they had to move out to make way for the Italian POWs... I wondered whether the whole place would have been ringed with barbed wire. I am told there have been quite a few rounds of ammunition dug up in the garden by the current owner.

Thanks again!

Matt

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 23 January 19 00:39 GMT (UK) »
In 1901, listed just after the Dog & Duck (RG13/3206 folio29 pg23)

John A Hogg, Head, M, 33, Medical Practitioner, own acc, Warwickshire Edgbaston
Amy K do, Wife, M, 31, , Devon Paignton
Jessie C do, Daur, 4, , Derbysh Shardlow
John P R do, Son, 3, , do do
Arthur C do, do, 1, , do do
Ada Timms, Servant, S, 24, Nursery Governess, Yorks Scarboro
Alice Shaw, do, S, 25, General Servant Domes, Derbysh Weston-on-Trent

Some censuses give the number of rooms in a property. Ten years later the same family is in a 12-room property, with three servants.

I don't think that Dr. Hogg moved house in the Edwardian period, though he lost a couple of years off his age.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 23 January 19 01:14 GMT (UK) »
Following the enumerator's walk in 1891 and comparing with 1901, it looks like the house was then known as "The Rectory" (RG12/2721 folio14 pg21):

John Eaton, Head, S, 67, Rector of Shardlow, Sutton on the Hill Derbyshire
Elizabeth Eaton, Sister, S, 66, Living on her own means, do do
Alice E Pearce, Servant, S, 28, Cook Domestic Servant, Quebec America
Ellen Bembridge, do, S, 19, Housemaid do, Sutton on the Hill Derby
Frederick A Kirk, do, , 14, Page boy do, Holbrook Derbyshire
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 24 January 19 15:29 GMT (UK) »
In 1881, the entry just before the Dog & Duck (RG11/3387 folio17 pg25):

John Eaton, Head, single, 57, Rector of Shardlow, Derbys Sutton on Hill
Susannah H " , Sister, " , 60, Annuitant, "  "
Elizabeth L " , " , " , 56,  "  , " "
Mary Ann Barker, Servant, " , 44, Cook Domestic Servant, Leicestershire Hathern?
Hubert Webb, " , " , 13, Page " " , " C. Donington
Alice E Pearce, " , " , 18, Housemaid " " , Canada

The 1871 census is not as clear cut. It will take a bit more investigation.

Offline overlandermatt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 11 February 19 22:31 GMT (UK) »
I haven't picked up on the house history search for a while but I did attend a couple of presentations at the weekend relating to tracing history of older houses.

There is such a thing as the 1910 Valuation Office Survey which works along similar lines to the 1840s Tithe Apportionment Surveys in that you identify your house on a map and use the corresponding reference number to check a either a field book or valuation/domesday book that contains information on the owner and property. Looks quite interesting... The field books are held at Kew and the valuation/domesday book is held at the local records office. I had never heard of this before and suspect even though it is primarily property focussed, it might well be of interest to genealogists too.

There is also a WW2 bomb census map to consult - a story has it that one stained glass window in the house lost some of its coloured panes following an explosion. There was no coloured glass available to repair it and as a result there is a mix of coloured and clear glass fitted to the window today.     

Offline overlandermatt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 11 March 19 22:38 GMT (UK) »
I visited the local record office in Derbyshire to look up the entry for the 1910 map and Domesday book (the house is referenced as 188). I am told there is another copy of the map and so-called 'field book' available at Kew - it would be good to know if the Kew field book would have the same map reference. I would have thought so but the staff at the record office were uncertain. Perhaps there is a little more information in the field book as notes were often recorded against the property...

All I can say for sure is that John Hogg lived at the house at this time - presumably the house was rented from Edward Sutton. The nearby Shardlow Hall was purchased by James Sutton in the 1820s and I suspect that Edward is his grandson...

Plenty more digging to do...

Offline Glynno

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 15 May 19 22:46 BST (UK) »
Possible reason you can't track the history back too far is because the property was formerly known as “The Villa” this is documented in the original grade 2 listing.

Although the Italians were at the property during the war they also shared the place with British army officers and they were let out with the land girls to work the fields.

There was a considerable amount of bullets found around the old copper beech tree which was in front of the little apple trees and the wall side of the greenhouse.

There was a tennis court in the garden in the 1950s hence the massive garden roller. This was also the time that the Booths rented the property, you will find his name etched on one of the right hand panes of glass in the old dining room.

There is also heaps of info carved into the lead around the windows on the roof, unfortunately some of it has now been covered with bitumen. On the subject of the roof this was replaced following a top floor fire which I believe was late 40s

The property was also the local surgery at some point and the GP was Dr Bell, again the dining room was the waiting room. This room had a floor to ceiling pine bookcase from the window to the wall where the fish tank is and all across that wall.

There was a priest hole above the toilet room but this was re roofed about a decade ago and allegedly a cellar that has been capped off in the room under the main staircase.

Hopes this helps a bit

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 15 May 19 22:58 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat Glynno.  :)

Here is a link to another thread which includes further information:

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=812640.msg6734489#msg6734489

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 16 May 19 09:04 BST (UK) »
Glynno, if you make another post or two you can contact Matt via Personal Message if you wish to - click on the scroll in the circle, under his name to send a PM.

It sounds like you have an intimate knowledge of the house. May I ask how? (I understand if you don’t wish to answer that.)  :)

I find it all fascinating!