Author Topic: Cotten Death essex Geography  (Read 1791 times)

Offline sallyvcarter

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cotten Death essex Geography
« on: Sunday 20 January 19 23:53 GMT (UK) »
I'm having trouble with the geography and hoped someone could help.

Mary Cotton is in West ham Essex in 1841 census, I'm looking for Death June 41- early 46 to maybe find out her birth name and Free BDM has a Rochford death in that name , Is that a close location to West ham?

I also have a Devon possibility
Sept quarter 1846 a baby is born to another wife, In Devonshire,  the family seems to be from this devon area orginally. There is a Mary cotton there: Is St Thomas Devon near Dawlish or Teignmouth?

With a common name I dont want to purchase too many pdf's from GRO.

Offline warncoort

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • James Edward Butcher, son John William 1925
    • View Profile
Re: Cotten Death essex Geography
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 January 19 00:15 GMT (UK) »
For Geography.
Google Earth
https://www.rac.co.uk/route-planner/
Butcher Westmorland and Lancashire
Barton Westmorland and Yorkshire
Trethowan,Reeves Middlesex
Halsall,Green,Charters,Chatterton Lancashire
Smith, Moger, Maxfield Wiltshire
Woods,Speechley and Coles Huntingdonshire
Gibson,Blanks,Monk,Fokes Essex

Offline sallyvcarter

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 January 19 00:42 GMT (UK) »
I don't even know where to zoom in on that ,Theres no big county lines or anything obvious and i'd have no idea what cities are in what counties.  Im from the other side of the world.

Offline warncoort

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • James Edward Butcher, son John William 1925
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 January 19 00:46 GMT (UK) »
Best you start with the basics.
https://www.genuki.org.uk/
Route planner will give mileage for any two parishes.
Google Earth will show options for any town name.
Butcher Westmorland and Lancashire
Barton Westmorland and Yorkshire
Trethowan,Reeves Middlesex
Halsall,Green,Charters,Chatterton Lancashire
Smith, Moger, Maxfield Wiltshire
Woods,Speechley and Coles Huntingdonshire
Gibson,Blanks,Monk,Fokes Essex

Offline Jackiemh

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 21 January 19 00:57 GMT (UK) »
Distance from West Ham to Rochford (near Southend) is approxiamately 50 kms due east.
Hope this helps.
Jackie
Bateman, Baylis, Bellotti, Boag, Bower (Stillgebauer), Cattermole, Chester, Dullage, Felix, French, Fursse, Garrett, Gilbert, Harding, Haynes, Hazelwood, Plume, Putland, Rudge, Strickson, Vine, Warren, Whitehead, Whitehorn, Wiltshire, Youthed and many more

Offline Jackiemh

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 21 January 19 01:00 GMT (UK) »
Should have mentioned it is the Rochford in Essex, not the one in Worcestershire.
Jackie
Bateman, Baylis, Bellotti, Boag, Bower (Stillgebauer), Cattermole, Chester, Dullage, Felix, French, Fursse, Garrett, Gilbert, Harding, Haynes, Hazelwood, Plume, Putland, Rudge, Strickson, Vine, Warren, Whitehead, Whitehorn, Wiltshire, Youthed and many more

Offline sallyvcarter

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 21 January 19 01:26 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Heaps!   I had no idea how many counties!

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 21 January 19 02:40 GMT (UK) »
You might find this map easier to use:
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.8382004,-2.3278149,6z

You can just type the place name into the box top left. You can also type in another place name in the box below it to get a route and distance estimation between two places.

It can be tricky if you have the same place names in more than one county, so if you google the place name as well as the county, google will give you details about it. Armed with that knowledge you can go to genuki on the link provided by warncoort to locate the county, then place name. This site gives historical details, location of parish registers, etc etc, so is useful when researching ancestors.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 21 January 19 03:40 GMT (UK) »
Mary Cotten death in March quarter 1844 Stepney (Middlesex) per GRO death index on Ancestry.   The GRO's own site now enables you to check mothers maiden names on births and ages on death from 1837.   Took me a few minutes to find it but on their own site GRO have the surname listed as 'Colten' rather than Cotton.   Mary shown as aged 32.

On daughter Pamela's birth entry as Pamela Cotten Mar.qtr.1840 West Ham mmn is shown as Daw - however, on daughter Emma's birth entry as Cotton Mar.qtr.1842 Poplar mmn is Dyer!  I think that Mary may have died as a result of childbirth as in the same quarter as when she died at Stepney (Mar.1844) there was a birth of an Albert Josiah Cotten - there is no further trace of this name anywhere but a Henry Cotton aged 0 yrs. has death recorded in Sept.qtr.1844 Stepney (with no corresponding birth for a Henry Cotton/Cotton) and I'm wondering whether they called Albert Josiah 'Henry' after birth registration (Henry's father was named Josiah).

Henry Cotton swiftly remarried after Mary's death to an Elizabeth Hore Jun.qtr.1844 Stepney (births of their son Henry and daughter Caroline Elizabeth confirm mmn as Hore).  At the time of Mary's death Henry was left with Mary aged 11, Pamela 4, Emma 2 and a new born baby so he desperately needed a new wife.   I'm guessing the marriage wasn't a happy one as certainly by 1871 Henry is back in London living in Marylebone.   In 1881 he is still in Marylebone, shown as widower, which is untrue, as wife Elizabeth was alive and kicking living with married daughter Caroline (now Wood) in Devon.  Can't find Henry in 1861.

Found a tree on Ancestry which has incorrect information - it shows Henry supposedly has just one wife - Elizabeth Brown, married 1829 Lambeth.   However, I suspect the owner of the tree just looked for a marriage of a Henry to an Elizabeth and picked this one.   Wrong!  As births of last 2 children show, mmn was Hore and Henry married Elizabeth Hore in 1844 Stepney, shortly after death of 1st wife Mary.

I note in 1841 that Mary and daughter Mary are shown as born in 'Foreign Parts' i.e. not in UK.  I suspect the mmn Daw given on Pamela's birth entry is probably an error and should read Dyer as given on next 2 childrens births.  So, Henry Cotten/Cotton probably married Mary Dyer somewhere overseas where daughter Mary also born.  Can't see Mary junior after 1841 census unfortunately - a shame because finding her on a later census would show where exactly she was born and where no doubt Mary Dyer was born also.   From the births of children, family were continually on the move every year or so between 1840 and 1851 (Plaistow, West Ham, Bromley, Stepney, Teignmouth (Devon) and Deptford (Kent).   I noted the tree I found on Ancestry shows dau. Emma born Bromley, Kent when she was actually born Bromley, Middlesex.

By the way, obtaining the death certificate of Mary Cotten won't show you what her maiden name was.   All it will show is her name when she died and who the informant was (besides the usual date of death, place, and cause).  That is all death certificates showed at that time.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk