Author Topic: German letter written in 1915  (Read 1103 times)

Offline Rufous Treecreeper

• RootsChat Senior
  • My lovely Granny 1909 to 2017
    • View Profile
Re: German letter written in 1915
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 22 January 19 08:32 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much Peonie for the translation. 

It certainly shows us how difficult life was then - in the USA, in Germany, and I know that Robert and his wife were having a hard time in Australia too.  Robert came to Australia to work as a glassblower but was soon put out of the job by machines - as had happened back in Gerresheim.  His wife Wilhelmine felt very isolated too.

The Neumann family stayed in Kenosha in the end and following them through the census shows just what a melting pot of nationalities the place was.   

I've wondered often how the world wars impacted on the family back in Germany.  Now I have a little insight into that, thank you.  (I found out today that Wilhelmine's brother Arnold Hartmann died in Belgium in October 1914).

I was so lucky to have my Granny and for so long too.  (My other grandparents died before I was born).  She was a lot of fun and I'm pretty sure responsible for my obsession with family history  ;)

Thanks Peonie also for the scharfes info  :)

Much appreciation to you both,
Cheers Marlene

PS Karen, can I swap you some summer heatwave for some frostiness, please?
Best (Sussex/Australia)
Brown (Kent/Australia)
Milbourne (Australia)
Orr (Renfrew/Fife/Australia)
Livingstone, Bryson, Hutton (Hamilton, Lanark)

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 22 January 19 11:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Marlene,

This one is bugging me a bit  :)

I keep going back and looking at the letter, and this morning I have discovered something. Probably won't help, but whatever.  ;D

I wrote yesterday that I thought it said:

As you say, the punctuation is a bit lacking. I think that there should be a full stop after "Mann" (husband), and that the next bit is
Schreibt uns die Adresse von B.H., will an Ihr auch schreiben,
(Send us B.H.'s address, I want to write to her, too.)

I couldn't read the name, but Peonie had suggested Brüyer Heinrich.

I am not really very happy with "Brüyer".  :-\ The third letter is definitely "ü", but if the Preuß name 2 lines higher is indeed Klara, then then the first letter of the mystery name could also be a "K". Also, looking at "baldige" in the last line (of the first scan), I think the 4th letter in the mystery name could be a "g".
Krüger(?)

It was/is not unusual to state names with the surname first, so it could theoretically be Heinrich Krüger.
What throws a spanner in the works there is the "will an Ihr auch schreiben". If that is what it says. Because that is "I want to write to her, too." Unless he was writing quickly and not really thinking, and wanted to write "Ihn"...

Hmmm...

As for swapping the weather: We had months without rain last summer. We don't need a heatwave again! But minus 10 is a bit much for little Essex girls. How about we mix the 2 and come up with some comfortably warm weather?!   ;)
(It's actually pretty good to have a cold snap - kills off a lot of the bugs. And I have to admit that it was lovely outside this morning - had a really long walkies with our woofer in the sunshine. Well wrapped-up, of course. Woman and dog.  :D)

Best regards,
Karen

P.S. In the newspaper cutting, there are siblings mentioned in Germany. Have you tried contacting anyone over here? Jünkel is a fairly rare name...

McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

Offline Rufous Treecreeper

• RootsChat Senior
  • My lovely Granny 1909 to 2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 23 January 19 01:32 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I see it too Karen  ;D  The K from Klara is the same as the K from the other word.  I think it is Kruger.

This is intriguing too because my sister has had her DNA done and matches with a family in Wisconsin who have Kruegers in their lineage!  (They also have GREINERTs but I can't establish a connection...).

I have attached snips of the two words for comparison of the first letter.

One of my Robert Greiner's uncles - Karl Wilhelm Theodor Greiner - married a Krueger too. 

Hmm, need to do some more detective work...

Many thanks for your continued interest and help,
Marlene
Best (Sussex/Australia)
Brown (Kent/Australia)
Milbourne (Australia)
Orr (Renfrew/Fife/Australia)
Livingstone, Bryson, Hutton (Hamilton, Lanark)

Offline davecapps

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 23 January 19 13:17 GMT (UK) »
Yes!
Klara
Krüger

Dave