Author Topic: Hadfield Farm, Ilkley  (Read 893 times)

Offline GrahamH

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.gjh.me.uk
    • View Profile
Hadfield Farm, Ilkley
« on: Monday 21 January 19 11:51 GMT (UK) »
A week or so ago I discovered that my Hadfield family's old farm house (in Glossop, Derbyshire) went by the splendid name of Churn Milk Hall.
As it was such an unusual name I ran a google search and came up with a Churn Milk Hall Laithe, Ilkley, which strangely appeared to be part of a farm named Hadfield Farm.

My surname originates from the Glossop area so is not found much in the Ilkley area and that got me wondering, could a descendant of one of my GGG Grandfather's brothers have upped sticks and moved?

I've done a little research since and it appears that the name of the Laithe (barn) dates from the middle of the 19th century whilst the first mention of the farm name I found was in the 1901 census.

I'm hoping to be able to visit the Register of Deeds at Wakefield before too long but, in the meantime, wondered if anyone had any information about how the name of the farm originated.

Graham

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hadfield Farm, Ilkley
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 January 19 12:00 GMT (UK) »
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Spelk

• RootsChat Senior
  • Pit Yacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 January 19 12:11 GMT (UK) »
I suspect the name may have just derived from where a dairy (where milk was churned to make cheese) became a dwelling house. So there could be quite a few of them.

The Ipswich Journal of 7 March 1891 mentions “Churn Milk Hall, Buxhall” in connection with a death. Buxhall seems to be a place between Ipswich and Bury St Edmunds. Later mentions of what seems to be the same place call it "Churn Milk Farm".

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 January 19 16:49 GMT (UK) »

The Ipswich Journal of 7 March 1891 mentions “Churn Milk Hall, Buxhall” in connection with a death. Buxhall seems to be a place between Ipswich and Bury St Edmunds. Later mentions of what seems to be the same place call it "Churn Milk Farm".

See https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=17&lat=52.1631&lon=0.9063&layers=168&right=BingHyb

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GrahamH

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.gjh.me.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 21 January 19 19:20 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all.
I did find one or two other examples of Churn Milk Hall, and the one at Ilkley appears to now be a dwelling after originally being a barn (or lathe in local language).
However, it was the presence of Hadfield Farm at Ilkley (and not in other places) that had me intrigued and wondering if there was a connection to my family.

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 21 January 19 19:50 GMT (UK) »
Maybe the owner was thinking "Had field, built a house on it"  :-\
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk