Author Topic: HOOD of Selby & COOKE Link - Possible Breakthrough!!  (Read 1111 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
HOOD of Selby & COOKE Link - Possible Breakthrough!!
« on: Monday 21 January 19 18:20 GMT (UK) »
Hello

When Alfred William HOOD born Selby, signed the 1911 Census at Hull and his original Will (written in 1939) held by the Probate Registry the signatures matched each other, but not HOOD's Witness signature when Fannie Adolphine COOKE of 50 Parker Street, Warrington (Father Charles COOKE, Schoolmaster) Married Colin SIMS, Schoolmaster at Warrington, Holy Trinity, 20th August 1892.

Therefore, I wondered if the earlier signature in 1886 of Alfred William HOOD (Residence Warrington) Marriage to Edith SCAUM at Brayton, would match.

1886 & 1892 Alfred William Hood, Signatures Match
The 1886 Marriage at Brayton is now online of William Alfred HOOD (Residence Warrington) to Edith SCAUM and I am very happy his earlier 1886 signature was different and the H in Hood is a match to his witness signature on the SIMS to COOKE 1892 Marriage at Warrington.

It does look like I have a link to a COOKE. Father Charles COOKE, Schoolmaster & witness Clarisse COOKE on the 1892 Marriage at Warrington, so will be looking into the ancestry of this COOKE family.

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=744970.msg6421459#msg6421459

James HOOD of Selby named his children with middle surnames (most denote family ancestry) and one with a COOK middle name, remains unconfirmed.

------------

Although the late Alfred William HOOD is a different line to me, we both share the same ancestor - the mystery George Hood of Selby who Married Sarah Russell at Selby in 1815.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: HOOD of Selby & COOKE Link - Possible Breakthrough!!
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 January 19 11:22 GMT (UK) »
1891 Warrington Census

50 Parker Street, Warrington
Charles Cooke, Head, M, Age 51, Photographer & Tobacconist, Born Gilling Yorkshire.
Adophin Maria Cooke, Wife, M, Age 47, Born Paris, France.
Violette Annie Cooke, Daur, S, Age 21, Born Cadishead Lancashire.
Fanny Adolphin Cooke, Daur, S, Age 20, Born Cadishead Lancashire. Hood of Selby was witness at her 1892 Marriage
Mary Cooke, Daur, S, Age 12, Scholar, Born Sheford Lancashire.
Beatrice Annie Cooke, Daur, S, Age 11, Scholar, Born Sheford Lancashire.
Harry Cooke, Son, S, Age 8, Scholar, Born Blackpool Lancashire.

Marriage 24th June 1862 Cathedral Parish Church, Manchester, by Licence.
Charles Cooke, Age 22, Bachelor, Schoolmaster, Residence Warrington, Lancs, Father Matthew Parkinson Cooke, Gentleman
Married
Adolphine Hombourg, Age 22, Spinster, Great Ducie Street, Strangeways, Father Charles Hombourg, Artist.

Witnesses were:-
Orele' Hombourg.
Dr Kraetzer Rassaerts, French Consul in Manchester.
Ed Blacke, French V. Consul in Belfast.
E. Cooke.
Elisa Blacke.
Elisabeth Atcheson.

10th November 1830
Matthew Parkinson Cooke, Bachelor, married Mary Spedding, Spinster in 1830 at Catterick and was of Cleasby, Yorkshire.

17th December 1812
Matthew Parkinson Cooke, Baptised Westmoreland, Jamaica.

ADDED: Matthew Parkinson
PROB 11/1571/161. Description: Will of Matthew Parkinson, Planter of Westmoreland County of Cornwall , Island of Jamaica. Date: 28 July 1815
https://www.ucl.ac.uk/lbs/person/view/2146634974

Comment
Still got a brickwall there!

----------

Basil Hood Taylor - A known Hood Ancestor Link to Me
Basil Hood Taylor lists a Legacy to a Dr. Bessil E. Cook, 14 Armthorpe Lane, Doncaster.

Dr Bessie Evelyn Cook M.B., Ch.B. 1923, V.U. Manc., 14 Armthorpe Lane, Doncaster (listed 1943) who appears to have qualified at Manchester.  Registered 24th December 1923.

The lineage of Dr Bessie Evelyn Cook traces back to Henry Cooke & Elizabeth Ellis who married at Rotherham in 1827. [Elizabeth Cooke nee Ellis, was born Greasbrough per Census].
Witnesses:- Harriot PARKINSON and Joseph JAMES.

The transcription on the Memorial of Ellis Cook aged 48, also mentions others including his Mother, Elizabeth Cook who died 1877 aged 70 years.

Henry Cook's Widow [presumed], Elizabeth Cook aged 30, In. born Y in the 1841 Census was residing at Bradgate, Kimberworth, Yorkshire with Thomas Cook aged 11; Olive Cook aged 9; Ellis Cook 7 and Henry Cook aged 5 (all born Yorkshire).

Unfortunately Henry Cooke, Abode Bradgate, aged 32, seems to have been buried in June 1835 at Rotherham, before the Census!

Possible parents[?] and Baptism of Henry Cooke at Rotherham Minster 5th December 1802 for Henry Cook might be Thomas and Hannah Cooke of Bradgate.

----------

This unconfirmed origin of George Hood of Selby (died & buried Selby September 1845) is a real pain!

Can any Rootschatters work some magic please?

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 January 19 12:10 GMT (UK) »
Added Link (above) to a transcription of:-
TNA, Kew,
PROB 11/1571/161. Description: Will of Matthew Parkinson, Planter of Westmoreland County of Cornwall, Island of Jamaica. Date: 28 July 1815
https://www.ucl.ac.uk/lbs/person/view/2146634974

Baptism of Matthew Parkinson Cooke, a Quadroon Child
1812 17th Dec. Matthew Parkinson Cooke Westmoreland Jamaica.

Dr Kraetzer Rassaerts, French consul in Manchester (Charles Cooke, Marriage witness, 1862)
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=744970.msg6415964#msg6415964

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 23 January 19 10:15 GMT (UK) »
Good Morning

Still trying to work out why Alfred William Hood born Selby, was a witness at the 1892 Fannie Adolphine Cooke (Parents nee Adolphine Maria Frederica Hombourg & Charles Cooke) to Colin Sims wedding (Father John Sims, Moulder / Iron Moulder)

Now got back on the Sims in the 1851, 1841 Census and to circa 1800, but no apparent wedding. I will look again at that.

Looking at one Sims middle name, the link might / might not be Marshall.

-----------

Dr Kraetzer Rassaerts and Arele' or Orele' Hombourg were witnesses at the earlier 1862 Charles Cooke to Adolphine M. F. Hombourg wedding.

M. Kraetzer Rassaerts, of Hesse Darmstadt, has just published on a broad sheet a statistical, geographical, and genealogical table of the Germanic Confederation, with the arms of the thirty-four princely families, the ...
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=r2wLFMd34NsC&pg=PA124&lpg=PA124&dq=%22Kraetzer+Rassaerts%22&source=bl&ots=w3WYbylktQ&sig=ACfU3U04b0BN2jnAGxw3SOrVwQ6rCJZmMA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjJ9N-KyoPgAhVMUBUIHXfaBO0Q6AEwEnoECAkQAQ

Claire reckoned according to the 1861 Census that Dr Kraetzer Rassaerts and Hombourg were Cousins
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=744970.msg6415964#msg6415964

(This 1861 Census is not available on FindMyPast )

Hesse - Homborg Lg. An Lg [Landgrave] is some type of German Duchy.

----------

The Hoods of Dumfries, also living at Drypool / Somercotes, in the District of Sculcoates and later James Goldie Hood of Hessle are linked to the surname of Goldie, Bowes and possibly Douglas of Scotland.

The Inglis surname (Inglis Goldie on the Will of Thomas Hood Bentley, with Cook ancestry of North Shields Northumberland a native of Gt Yarmouth) has also cropped up again.

----------

The only certain thing is, I seem to acquire a few dead ends, Matthew Parkinson Cooke was adopted.

Mark