Author Topic: Mary McGillivray in Rossshire  (Read 955 times)

Offline Rodger

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mary McGillivray in Rossshire
« on: Monday 21 January 19 18:47 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking for the connection between Miss Mary McGillivray who in 1943 was living in Rossshire and Donald McGillivray who died in December 1943 in Port Colborne Ontario Canada. His obituary says that his first cousin Miss Mary McGillivray living in Rossshire was his closest living relative. Donald's father John McGillivray was born in 1815 probably in Invernessshire so he must have had a brother who would be Mary's father maybe born around 1815 + or - 10 to 15 years.  And Mary may have been born around 1852 (Donald's birth year) + or - 10 to 15 years.
Donald never married and his mother was Marjory Smith.
It's not much to go on but John's first son and daughter were named Donald and Mary so perhaps those were his parents names.
Thanks for any help. ::)

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Mary McGillivray in Rossshire
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 January 19 19:39 GMT (UK) »
Roger,

If she stayed in Ross there is a Mary who died 1946 age 86 (single) father Finlay mother Helen McGillivray and she died in Killearnan.

There is a Mary Ann St. Claire (single) who died in 1968 age 92 Black Isle (Cromatary) father William mother Elizabeth McDonald.

And another in Inverness who was married (widow) father Thomas mother Margaret Noble. 

There 6 others who died between 1943-1980 birth 1855 (+/- 10 years) in other parts of Scotland.

You can access these from SP https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Don

I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 January 19 20:37 GMT (UK) »
When did Donald emigrate? Did his parents also emigrate? Where did you get the names of his parents from?

There are three deaths of Marjory McGillivrays (various spellings), other name Smith, in the deaths index at SP. One in Inverness in 1856, no age given. The other two are both too young to have become a mother in 1852.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Rodger

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 January 19 22:50 GMT (UK) »
Donald didn't immigrate. He was born in Canada. His father came to Canada before 1851 and married Marjory Smith in Canada in January 1851.
She was born in Scotland in 1828 and her parents came to Canada in 1832.She was my great grandfather's sister.
John McGillivray's death registration says he died Dec. 13, 1891, 77 years old and born in Invernesshire Scotland.

Offline Rodger

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 21 January 19 23:00 GMT (UK) »
I think the Finley and Helen McGillivray might be a good lead for me to follow since their daughter Mary died in 1946, 3 years after Donald died and at her age  probably didn't move after 1943 when Donald died.