Author Topic: Jane McCallum, Buchanan, Brownlie  (Read 2846 times)

Offline maxcam

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Andrew Buchanan born Fintry 1879
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 26 January 19 17:33 GMT (UK) »
Another brick wall! Andrew Buchanan was born in 1879 to Andrew Buchanan and Jane McCallum. He appears on 1881 census but not on 1891. No death notified during that ten years and surely he would have been too young to emigrate.  Any ideas would, as usual, be greatly appreciated.
Stewart: Scotland & Ireland
Buchanan: Scotland
Stephen: Scotland& Canada
Diamond: Ireland & Scotland
McCallum, Scotland

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Andrew Buchanan born Fintry 1879
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 26 January 19 17:57 GMT (UK) »
1881 shows birthplace as Fintry Stirlingshire and the family were in Stirlingshire but you have posted on the Lanarkshire board?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 26 January 19 18:02 GMT (UK) »
Looks like Andrew snr died and Jane remarried to James Brownlie.  Andrew jnr is easily found on 1891 entry as he is under correct name/birthyear/birthplace
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline maxcam

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 26 January 19 18:16 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that but I must be missing 1891 entry for him.Is it census? I am also having a problem with his sister. JAne born 1889, again Fintry, but she moved to Cambusnethan when her mother remarried in 1890. Jane appears on 1901 census but not on 1911. In the meantime I'll return to Andrew jnr. I am trying to fill in all the blanks re Jane senior's 9 children. I have completed 5 of them Trying to complete missing two with Andrew Buchanan Senior then I'll move on to missing two with her second husband. Paper and pens everywhere! Many thanks for your help. Jane Buchanan/Brownlie/Docherty has turned into something of a heroine of mine.
McCallum, Scotland

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 26 January 19 18:56 GMT (UK) »
Is it census

Yes - all children are on 1891 - Search under James Brownlie b 1861 Cambuslang and living in Lanarkshire.  Or Alexander Buchanan b Fintry 1879 - either will get the entry

Dalziel ED 15 Page 10 Line 14

JAne born 1889, again Fintry, but she moved to Cambusnethan when her mother remarried in 1890

So you were aware that Jane had re-married?  No mention in your post

Jane was only a year old when Jane snr married James Brownlie and the family are in Dalziel in 1891

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 26 January 19 19:06 GMT (UK) »
Related post;

topics merged

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 26 January 19 19:47 GMT (UK) »
And Maxcam's reply dated 24th January on that post   ::)

On the 1891 census both James now calling himself Brownlie, and Jane are living at 333 Craigneuk.4th Ward, Wishaw. with Jane's 5 children with Andrew Buchanan..

Todays post

Another brick wall! Andrew Buchanan was born in 1879 to Andrew Buchanan and Jane McCallum. He appears on 1881 census but not on 1891

So why have you posted for 1891 info when you already have it?

Todays post after my reply

Thanks for that but I must be missing 1891 entry for him.Is it census? I am also having a problem with his sister. JAne born 1889,

Offline maxcam

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Jane McCallum, Buchanan, Brownlie
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 27 January 19 14:07 GMT (UK) »
OOPS, Sorry, getting a bit mixed up with dates. Yes I have 1891 census but lost them after that.
McCallum, Scotland

Offline maxcam

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Jane McCallum, Buchanan, Brownlie
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 27 January 19 15:22 GMT (UK) »
Found Andrew Buchanan born Fintry 1879. He is on Census of 1911 as living in Bellshill, Lanarkshire. He married Janet McLennan of Carluke, Lanarkshire in 1906 and by 1911 had two sons Andrew aged 6 and John aged 2. He died in 1947. It is also possible they had a daughter, Jane born 1915. The same names are repeated throughout the family. Still no luck with his sister, also Jane, born 1889 in Cambusnethan. She appears on 1901 Census in Cambusnethan but not on 1911. I have tried marriage records and census records for whole of Scotland but too many possibilities. She possibly went into service as her Mother had done before her. I'll keep plodding on. Of the nine children Jane Buchanan/Brownlie/Docherty had I have managed to track down six, so still a way to go.
McCallum, Scotland