Author Topic: Jane Muiry (Copland) 1815 -  (Read 1747 times)

Offline themonkeymonkey

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jane Muiry (Copland) 1815 -
« on: Monday 21 January 19 19:33 GMT (UK) »
Jane Copland was baptised 16th April 1815, she had a son George Black 1847 then in 1852 she married James Muiry in Cullen, they had a son in 1852 again called James Muiry in Fordyce, Banffshire.  I can trace her in the 1841, 1851 and 1861 census, the 1861 census she is living with both sons at Hill Of Cowhythe and she is an Agricultural Labourer, there is no sign of husband but is does not say she is widowed just "Head".  I have not been able to trace her after that, can anyone help please?
Manson, Wilson, Copland, Craighead, Youngson, Ross, Thomson, Smith, Horn

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Jane Muiry (Copland) 1815 -
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 January 19 20:24 GMT (UK) »
There are very few Muiry deaths in SP there is one Robert Dundas died 1918 age 61 years in Macduff and his mother was Jane Muiry (deceased) married to John Cooper farm servant.  Maybe her, maybe not.

I see no banns for Jane nor baptisms associated with her children.  Perhaps a free spirit.

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline themonkeymonkey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 January 19 20:47 GMT (UK) »
Janes son James was born 2nd August 1852 and baptised 8 Dec 1852 witnesses were James Sinclair and Mary Walker.  Her son George was a child of "fornification" witnesses were George Brown and Catherine Harvey.

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 January 19 15:37 GMT (UK) »
I think I may have found your Jane Muiry (nee Copland)  ;D

I am assuming your Jane Copland is the same Jane Copland who was baptised in Rathven on 16 April 1815, daughter of Peter Copland and Isabella Shand?

This gravestone in Smeaton, Victoria, Australia shows three inscriptions: https://billiongraves.com/grave/person/14259083 It's quite difficult to read from the pictures, but I can make out the following:

"In memory of John Copeland who died in 1870. Also, James Muiry, who died 15 July 1893, aged 81 years. Also Jane Muiry, beloved(?) wife of the above, ... 27 November 1895, aged 80"

The Victoria Probate Index: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-632Q-XT3?cc=1393345 confirms the dates of death for both James Muiry, farmer, Campbelltown and Jane Muiry, Campbelltown.

The Australian death index (which I can only seem to find on Ancestry) has John Copeland as aged 50 when he died in 1870 - it also gives his parents as Peter Copeland and Isabella Shand - which would suggest he is Jane's brother, who was baptised in Rathven on 11 March 1820.

I haven't been able to find out when any of them arrived in Australia - nor have I found either of Jane's children, which would give a bit more comfort that this is the correct couple.

Ruth
McArthur, Milne, Mitchell, Black, Robertson, Morrison, Slessor, Lawrence - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire. Muir, Waddell, Fraser, Orr, Cowden - Lanarkshire/Renfrewshire/Dunbartonshire. Dalziel, Dalzell, Gourley, Cromie, Crombie, Bell - Co Down. Haymon, Baker, Corke, Cooley, Ginger - Kent/London.

Offline themonkeymonkey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 22 January 19 16:05 GMT (UK) »
Ruthhelen you are a gem, thank you so much, yes John is her brother and I knew he had died in Australia but there was no knowledge of Jane also being over there, thank you.

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 January 19 18:12 GMT (UK) »
 ;D Glad to help - I love it when various apparently unrelated trails finally meet up - it doesn't happen that often!

Ruth
McArthur, Milne, Mitchell, Black, Robertson, Morrison, Slessor, Lawrence - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire. Muir, Waddell, Fraser, Orr, Cowden - Lanarkshire/Renfrewshire/Dunbartonshire. Dalziel, Dalzell, Gourley, Cromie, Crombie, Bell - Co Down. Haymon, Baker, Corke, Cooley, Ginger - Kent/London.

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 23 January 19 17:48 GMT (UK) »
Adding some further snippets to this story. The Public Record Office of Victoria has a copy of James Muiry’s will, which is dated 1875.

In it, as well as providing for his wife, he names three children as follows:

‘… thirdly, that on the death of the said Jane Muiry, my wife, the residue be equally divided between my son Alexander Muiry, born in the Parish of Banff, County of Banff in Scotland, now in Scotland, my son James Muiry, born in Fordyce in the County of Banff in Scotland, now in Scotland, and George Black, son of the said Jane Muiry, my wife, now living with us…’

So, I think it’s fair to say we have the correct James and Jane Muiry ;D - and also that George Black went to Australia with his mother and stepfather, but James Reid Muiry didn’t - or at least, wasn’t there in 1875.

I think the Alexander Muiry mentioned is very likely Alexander Muiry or Inglis who was born in Banff on 4 July 1831, and baptised on 5 March 1832 in Boyndie - ‘Alexander, natural son of James Muiry in Boyne (sic) and Jane Inglis…’

Jane Inglis married John Car(r) some time before 1835 - I can’t find a note of the marriage, but their first child, John, was baptised in Banff on 11 March 1835.

Alexander Muiry is with his mother in 1841 and again in 1851:

Alehouseburn, Banff
Jean Ingles, 35, Farm Servant’s wife, Banffshire
Alexr Murie, 10, Banffshire
John Car, 5, Banffshire
William Car, 2 Banffshire

Rettie (John Car’s), Boyndie
Jean Car, Head, married, 48, Farm Servants Wife, Banff, Banffshire
Alexander Minirey (sic), son, 19, Ag Labourer, Banff, Banffshire
Andrew Car, son, 8, scholar, Banff, Banffshire

John Car, married, 36, Farm Servant, is at Rettie Farm House

Some time before 1855 (can’t find a marriage), Alexander Muiry married Margaret Porter:

Blackhills, Boyndie
Alexander Muirie, head, married, 31, mole catcher, Banff
Margaret Muirie, wife, married, 30, Alvah
Alexander Muirie, son, 6, Boyndie
John Muirie, son, 3, Boyndie
James Muirie, son, 4m, Boyndie

I can see births for eight children in total between 1855 and 1868, all born in Banffshire except the youngest, who was born in Old Machar. In 1871, there is also an Andrew C Muiry, son, born abt 1851 in Alvah, who I think is probably the son of Margaret Porter before her marriage to Alexander Muiry - in 1851 in Alvah, there is an unmarried Margaret Porter who has twin sons aged 6 months - Andrew and George Chalmers.

By 1871, the family are in Old Machar and Alexander is a mason. He died in 1910 in Aberdeen. His mother, Jane Inglis or Carr, died in 1888 in Portsoy.

Ruth

Offline themonkeymonkey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 23 January 19 21:32 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so so much I had no idea that there was a 3rd child, Alexander.  I will look into him.  I am also trying to see if Jane and Johns brother Peter also went to Australia as nothing is known about him after his birth in 1811.  Once again thanks.

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 26 January 19 13:46 GMT (UK) »
The plot thickens  :o

Been trying to track down James Reid Muiry, b. 2 Aug 1852 in Fordyce to James Muiry and Jane Copland. It seems the child died in 1863 after a fall from a horse - completely missed it in the deaths index, as the name is recorded as James Mury.

So the James Muiry, son, referred to in the will of James Muiry above can’t be this James Reid Muiry, as he was already dead when the will was written in 1875…

It appears our James Muiry had another illegitimate son - James Muiry, born abt 1836 in Fordyce to Janet/Jessie Robertson. This James Muiry married Janet/Jessie Milne in Ordiquhill, Banffshire in 1882 - James Muiry, agriculture labourer, is named as his reputed father; mother Janet Robertson, crofter.

James Muiry died in Fordyce in 1890. His mother, Janet/Jessie Robertson didn’t marry, she died in 1884 in Fordyce.

Ruth