Author Topic: Jessie Abbot's maiden name  (Read 964 times)

Offline 1JC

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jessie Abbot's maiden name
« on: Monday 21 January 19 21:13 GMT (UK) »
Could someone please help with the transcription of a name in the attached Death record.

I have been trying to find the mother of George Abbot. George died April 1882 when living at 33 Cowgate, Dundee. He was married to Betsy Scott and his occupation was Carpenter or cabinet maker. Attached is his death record that gives his mother and father’s details. His father was William Abbot a Calver & Guilder in Dundee but I cannot seem to make sense of his mother and find records of her berth or marriage to William. I thought that someone with experience in reading and interpreting these records might have a better chance of finding a name that fits with birth and or marriage records.
I think her name was Jessie Abbot but it is her maiden name that is causing me problems.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Jessie Abbot's maiden name
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 January 19 21:44 GMT (UK) »
Still thinking about possibilities for Jessie....what dire writing for sure  :-\

Just checking whether you have burial details for William:

William Abbot
21 Sep 1837
Lands of Craigie, by Dundee
Carver & Gilder
Old Age
Old Howff
www.fdca.org.uk/Howff_Burials.html

Monica

PS If we fail to figure out, you can always contact SP to request a rescan. This can make a big difference when trying to read images that are sometime illegible.
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 January 19 22:14 GMT (UK) »
I've come across this Registrar's handwriting many times before. You'd have thought they'd have checked that applicants could write clearly before appointing them.

I think it might be Skirving.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline 1JC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 January 19 22:57 GMT (UK) »

Just checking whether you have burial details for William:

William Abbot
21 Sep 1837
Lands of Craigie, by Dundee
Carver & Gilder
Old Age
Old Howff
www.fdca.org.uk/Howff_Burials.html

Thanks MonicaL. I had found the death record for William which does not give any more detail than the record with the Howff Burials - so, unfortunately, nothing about his wife.

Offline 1JC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 21 January 19 23:34 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Forfarian.

There are some Skirving possibilities...
Janet Skirving baptised 26/5/1772 at St Cuthberts,
Janet Skirving baptised 24/4/1788 at Haddington
Jean Skirving baptised 24/1/1782 at Inveresk

but none close to Dundee and no marriage that makes sense.

I wondered if the "g" was a comma as the other commas are quite large. But, there are no Skirvin or Skirven that seem to make sense either.

George Abbot was born around 1810 (died in 1882 aged 71). Looking at births of children to William Abbot in Dundee there is no record for a George but there are 5 records for children to William Abbot and a Grisal Hay between 1798 and 1807. So I am a bit confused.

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 January 19 12:17 GMT (UK) »
It's a bit of a stretch, but what about  Skyrving.   Or even Skyring?  I know there seem to be more letters than Skyring, but that is a surname I know of.

???

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 22 January 19 12:19 GMT (UK) »
Fortunately on SP you can search using wild cards = sk*r*n*, for instance, would return all those variants.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.