Author Topic: pre/adolescent boys sent to Australia from the UK around 1920  (Read 2963 times)

Offline chrislb

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
pre/adolescent boys sent to Australia from the UK around 1920
« on: Tuesday 22 January 19 02:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi folks,

Wondering if anyone can help with this question. My grandfather (born 1910 in Trealaw, Wales, lived in Coleford, Gloucestershire) was sent to Australia at the age of about 10/11, around 1920-22 where he lived for up to 2 years, I think in NSW, with possibly a farming family, after which he returned to the family home in Coleford. Apparently this was part of a scheme for children from troubled homes (or trouble-making kids) whereby the child would be sent to help farmers or whatever for a year or 2.

Does anyone know where I can get records for this? It possibly was administered by a church group or may have been a government scheme, we are not entirely sure.

My grandad returned to Australia in 1927, at 16 yrs old, and settled in Queensland.

Cheers for any help

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline chrislb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: pre/adolescent boys sent to Australia from the UK around 1920
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 January 19 03:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Ruskie, I will check them out for sure.  Cheers

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 January 19 03:11 GMT (UK) »
Are you hoping to find records about what he did while in Australia?

I am not sure if there are surviving records on each of the boys but that might depend on which scheme brought him out. The information on the links should at least give you some idea.  :)

Good luck.

Offline chrislb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 22 January 19 03:55 GMT (UK) »
Short answer, yes  :D

Would really love to get dates, names, places

Cheers

Offline Jackiemh

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 January 19 08:59 GMT (UK) »
Hello
My father-in-law was also sent out, although a bit later in 1932 and he was 12 at the time, through Dr Barnardo's scheme. He also spent time on farms, mentioned Parramatta and Raymond Terrace as places where he had been before returning to England in 1937.
He was not an orphan; I did hear various reasons why he went and he didn't like to talk about it.

I know that Barnardo's has more information on him but I have not yet been able to afford their fee.

Jackie
Bateman, Baylis, Bellotti, Boag, Bower (Stillgebauer), Cattermole, Chester, Dullage, Felix, French, Fursse, Garrett, Gilbert, Harding, Haynes, Hazelwood, Plume, Putland, Rudge, Strickson, Vine, Warren, Whitehead, Whitehorn, Wiltshire, Youthed and many more

Offline chrislb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 22 January 19 10:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jackie,

That's interesting indeed. My grandad wasn't an orphan, but he did have a rather harsh, strict uncompromising step-mother. His birth mother died when he was about 8 months old and his dad remarried about 3 years later.

My mother recalls him mentioning it when she was a child but she and her siblings never really believed it until one of her aunts (they remained in Wales/England) confirmed it after her dad had died.

Cheers!

Offline Nifty1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 22 January 19 22:22 GMT (UK) »
I wrote off to see about joining the Big Brother Movement in the late 1960s. I wonder what would have happened had I done so. I suppose it is the luck of the draw, some fared better than they could have ever dreamt of in Europe, others did not.
Kirtland (Oxfordshire Windsor, Berkshire)
Lipscombe (Longwick Berkshire, Maidenhead)
Marsh (London, Monksweirmouth, Durham+Berks  Bucks, Wokingham
Reynolds (Buckinghamshire Stoke on Trent)
Green, Stoke Poges
Brown (Co Durham, Windsor, Wokingham)
Wilson (Eton)
Wise

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 24 January 19 10:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi chrisb,
   You can search passenger lists on naa.gov.au and find which ship he was on.   Then search same site for this ship’s log and it should say which group he was in.  Or tell us his name and we will search for you.

There are some records at Nsw archives. https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/archives/collections-and-research/guides-and-indexes/child-youth-migration-the-20th-century

I found card indexes there for Dreadnought boys with dates and addresses (for another rootschatter).  I’m happy to look for your grandfather’s records when I’m there.

Ros
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland