Author Topic: Indentification of regiment/unit please  (Read 815 times)

Offline rovert

• RootsChat Senior
  • grandad Ernest Judd 1880 - 1942
    • View Profile
Indentification of regiment/unit please
« on: Tuesday 22 January 19 13:37 GMT (UK) »
Can someone identify the regiment of these photos please.  It’s clearly the same group of men, taken ww1 I think, I have no other info other than they have been found in a box  belonging to my late mother.  Thankyou for you help in advance.        Rovert :)
Judd - Croydon Surrey<br />Venner, Coote - Beckenham, West Wickham, Bromley Kent<br />Shepston -  Westminster London Middlesex, Bristol<br />Knight - Deane & Andover Hampshire<br />Bull - Chimney sweeps, south of England<br />Bowles - Winterbourne Gunner & PlaitfordWiltshire<br />Kirby - Kings Somborne Hampshire<br />Winter - Plaitford & Landford Wiltshire<br />Arter - Plaitford & Sherfield English Hampshire<br />Clark - Hayling Island Hampshire<br />Pink - Hinton Ampner Hampshire & West Witteri

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Indentification of regiment/unit please
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 January 19 14:40 GMT (UK) »
Not entirely convinced they are a military outfit, they look more like some sort of youth organisation.  The presence of dog collared figure and the extreme youth of some of them would hint heavily towards that.  Someone clever with photo manipulation may be able to read the wording on the drum?

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline rovert

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 January 19 14:59 GMT (UK) »
MaxD do you think it could possible something like :  Salvation Army ?.
Judd - Croydon Surrey<br />Venner, Coote - Beckenham, West Wickham, Bromley Kent<br />Shepston -  Westminster London Middlesex, Bristol<br />Knight - Deane & Andover Hampshire<br />Bull - Chimney sweeps, south of England<br />Bowles - Winterbourne Gunner & PlaitfordWiltshire<br />Kirby - Kings Somborne Hampshire<br />Winter - Plaitford & Landford Wiltshire<br />Arter - Plaitford & Sherfield English Hampshire<br />Clark - Hayling Island Hampshire<br />Pink - Hinton Ampner Hampshire & West Witteri

Offline rovert

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 January 19 15:15 GMT (UK) »
maxD. Thankyou your comment sent me researching.  Boys Brigade. Quote:
“Christian manliness, semi military discipline and gymnastics, with religious  services and classes. “.  It’s a possibility

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 22 January 19 15:22 GMT (UK) »
Although one normally sees the Boys Brigade with pill box caps, I'm sure I've seen them in uniforms as in the pic and maybe even on this site  Can't find them now though so didn't commit myself!

MaxD

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 January 19 15:51 GMT (UK) »
Like this group here, these are officers of the Boys Brigade thought to be Rhyl I found online.
GEDmatch M157477

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 22 January 19 16:25 GMT (UK) »
A Salvation Army officer wouldn't wear a dog collar, but Boys' Brigade is a good suggestion. Their units were attached to local churches, so a picture with the minister would be quite feasible.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 22 January 19 17:05 GMT (UK) »
Noticeable too in trawling around for photos that badges etc were not totally uniform

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=764599.msg6163622#msg6163622

was the earlier thread I was thinking about.

MaxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline rovert

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 22 January 19 18:06 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou all for your comments.  MaxD your input got me started on looking into this more.  These photos were found Among my late mother’s possessions.  I am going to try researching locally, hopefully I will be back with more info.  :)