Author Topic: Missing Dunn. New York  (Read 1488 times)

Offline Bellevue

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Missing Dunn. New York
« on: Tuesday 22 January 19 14:13 GMT (UK) »
I have been researching this family since 2011. I have found and located all marriage and death certs for all the family except 1 daughter ALICE DUNN.
I really really want to find her!!!! This is what I have on her:

Parents Thomas J. Dunn and Mary Tuite.
Born about 1879 in New York.
1880 Census https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33S7-9YBH-H1J?i=28&cc=1417683
1900 Census https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-6Q59-9KH?i=25&cc=1325221
1905 Census https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:9Q97-YSRS-6LW?i=29&cc=1463113
1910 Census https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33SQ-GRV9-Q7X?i=1&cc=1727033
1911 (Sep) Witness at her sister Grace's marriage

She is NOT buried in the family plot in Calvary where ALL her siblings are (married ones included). So this could suggest she perhaps married and is interred somewhere else.

Any help much appreciated. Thank you
Cleary - Clonmel / Ardgeeha / Chancellorstown / Garryntemple---------------O' Donnell - Clerihan------------McGrath - Powerstown---------------Cullinan - Scrothea, Clonmel----------------Flemming - Clerihan----------------Brien - Monkstown----------------Dunne - Poulnagunoge  / Gladstone St, Clonmel-------------Dunn - New York------------O' Neill - Kilsheelan

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Missing Dunn. New York
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 January 19 15:20 GMT (UK) »
Do you have any obituaries for her parents or siblings?

Offline Bellevue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 January 19 15:36 GMT (UK) »
Do you have any obituaries for her parents or siblings?

No, not all of them.
Father, yes. just lists his children and siblings in NY.
Of Alice's siblings:
Thomas, yes died 1907, does not mention other family members (buried in family plot)
George, yes died 1917, does not mention other family members(buried in family plot)
Charles, no I do not believe I have his but he died Nov 1928(buried in family plot)
Grace, no I do not believe I have hers, she died Oct 1915(buried in family plot)

Uncle Michael died 1908, does not mention Alice in his obit. (buried in HIS family plot)
Uncle Bart died 1930, does not mention Alice in his obit.(buried in family plot)
Aunt Helen died 1914, does not mention Alice in his obit.(buried in family plot)
Cleary - Clonmel / Ardgeeha / Chancellorstown / Garryntemple---------------O' Donnell - Clerihan------------McGrath - Powerstown---------------Cullinan - Scrothea, Clonmel----------------Flemming - Clerihan----------------Brien - Monkstown----------------Dunne - Poulnagunoge  / Gladstone St, Clonmel-------------Dunn - New York------------O' Neill - Kilsheelan

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 January 19 15:45 GMT (UK) »
I think I see one for Charles in the NY Times, but it only mentions that he's the husband of Frances A. McCabe and son of the late Thomas J. Dunn.

Offline Bellevue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 22 January 19 15:47 GMT (UK) »
I think I see one for Charles in the NY Times, but it only mentions that he's the husband of Frances A. McCabe and son of the late Thomas J. Dunn.

yes, thats him

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 January 19 16:12 GMT (UK) »

Offline Bellevue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile

Offline Bellevue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 22 January 19 21:09 GMT (UK) »
Yes, Alice Dunn is a real conundrum for sure.
The most frustrating part is that I have located everyone else and their descendants up to present day.
I have to finish a family history booklet on the Dunns in New York by May for family and cousins and writing "unknown" after Alice will be very saddening but at the moment that's the way it will be unfortunately.

What other info could I give that could help in some way in finding her?

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 23 January 19 00:08 GMT (UK) »
Here's my other ideas, which you may have tried already:

1.  With an exact date of birth, you could search databases with just Alice and the date of birth in case she's under a married name.  Birth records were a bit hit or miss in that time frame, so it may not exist.

2.  Check siblings' death certificates to see if any of the informants were named Alice.

3.  Check city directories for NY City.  I saw some Alice Dunns in 1911 and after, but no evidence one way or the other about whether it was your Alice.  Maybe you can rule them in or out as a possibility by seeing if there are other Alice Dunns at those addresses in the 1910/1915/1920 census.

4.  Check for married Alices of the right age with other surnames in the 1915 NY census.