Author Topic: Death certificates for John and Ann Murdie of Shoreswood, Northumberland  (Read 1651 times)

Offline geordiesue

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Death certificates for John and Ann Murdie of Shoreswood, Northumberland
« on: Tuesday 22 January 19 14:36 GMT (UK) »
Good Afternoon

John Murdie born abt 1791 in Norham and his wife Ann born abt 1793 in Norham were the 3x great grandparents of my husband. I have enquired about the family last year on rootschat and though I still didn`t find the marriage and Maiden name of Ann I had some great help which was much appreciated.

As I mentioned in the earlier post the family were living in Shoreswood on the 1841 census and John was a widower by the 1851 census. I have managed to order Anns death certificate

Superintendants registrar's district Berwick upon Tweed
Registrar's district Norhamshire
Ann Murdie -8th feb 1849-Stobscross Shoreswood-female-aged 55 years-wife of John Murdie Bankman-Cause of Death Dropsy 18 weeks not certified-x the mark of Peter Murdie present at Death
This one`s definetly the right one, Peter Murdie being he son

Because John wasnt on the 1861 census his death must have been somewhere in between so I thought as Shoreswood was in the Berwick upon Tweed district that a death in 1854 would be his and this is the info from his

Superintendants registrar's district Berwick upon Tweed
Registrar's district Berwick
John Murdy 1st April 1854-Union workhouse-Male 77 years-Agricultural labourer-Cause of death clinactoric decay certified-Jane Purdy present at death Berwick union workhouse

This one dosent match his age as he would have been born in 1777 but yet the census have him transcribed as born about 1791. I know the surname is spelt different but thats not unusual. I wondered what you thought or if anyone knew where else I should be looking.

John and Ann are brickwalls on my husbands family tree twice over as not only are they my husbands 3 x great grandparents but they are also his 4 x great grandparents so very complicated  ::)

Susan

Offline Spelk

• RootsChat Senior
  • Pit Yacker
    • View Profile
Re: Death certificates for John and Ann Murdie of Shoreswood, Northumberland
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 January 19 11:33 GMT (UK) »
Don’t know if this chap is connected to your family -

Illustrated Berwick Journal 4 June 1859 - Norham and Islandshires Petty Sessions - Wednesday June 1 ~~~~
Orders for removal ~~ John MURDIE from Norham to Chatton

If you can locate the court record then more details may be provided.

As for the death certificate I would be dubious about the accuracy of information given by the Jane PURDY as she may have only known him slightly and just guessed at his age. However a coal miner, as JM is described in 1851, is not likely to have become an Ag Lab.

There is a death of a John MURDIE age 77 in q4 1860 in Glendale district 10b 233. Glendale district contains Chatton. Again rather old to be your man who was said to be age 60 in 1851 but closer.

The marriage of John Murdie to his wife Ann may have been an irregular marriage done the other side of the border but I do not see it in FindMyPast. Possible that Ann may have been a second wife and so not married around 1815.

PS - interesting that when I look up William MURDIE born about 1814 I find in 1861 and 1871 in Shoreswood William MURDIE born in Chatton.
There is a birth of William MURDIE 11 April 1815 bap. 19 April 1815 in Presbyterian, Glanton father John MURDIE mother Jane so maybe the guess that Ann  may have been a second wife was right.

PPS - and when William says he was born in Heaton Law as in the 1881 census I take that as Hetton Law which is in the Chatton parish and currently seems to be a farm brewing beer.

Offline geordiesue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 January 19 12:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Spelk

I think it does seem that Ann is his 2nd wife if they were married at all. The first 2 children William born 1815 and Peter born abt 1819 must be to a first wife named Jane. 3 of the later children John 1825, Henry 1828 and Anne were all baptised under the name Mordy on the same day 27th Jan 1832 and Jane in 1835 all with mother Ann.

I`m tempted to get the death certificate for the death in glendale in 1860 which could fit in if it is the same John Murdie removed from Norham to Chatton. His son was John Murdie but he was still in Shoreswood with his wife and family in 1861

Thank you, thats much appreciated. It gives me something else to look into

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 23 January 19 13:29 GMT (UK) »
Baptisms;
Presbyterian, Glanton
JANE 24 Nov 1810 birth 20 Nov 1810
CATHERINE 17 Apr 1813 birth 10 Apr 1813
WILLIAM 1815 you have
ANDREW 03 Oct 1818 birth 27 Sep 1818

Abode Aberwick parish of Long Edlingham

Above in FreeREG

Familysearch also has Bapt Glanton to John/Jane;
JOHN 5 October 1803 birth 17 Sept 1803
JAMES 15 July 1805 birth 13 July 1805
THOMAS 23 June 1807 birth 19 June 1807

So not the John born c 1791?

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 23 January 19 14:53 GMT (UK) »
There is a death of a John MURDIE age 77 in q4 1860 in Glendale district 10b 233. Glendale district contains Chatton. Again rather old to be your man who was said to be age 60 in 1851 but closer.

Just for the record it looks like the John Murdie you refer to here was buried at Doddington
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-6SCS-Z1H?i=235&wc=9K59-6TR%3A13617901%2C19209201%2C19209202&cc=1309819

Offline geordiesue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 23 January 19 15:05 GMT (UK) »
Baptisms;
Presbyterian, Glanton
JANE 24 Nov 1810 birth 20 Nov 1810
CATHERINE 17 Apr 1813 birth 10 Apr 1813
WILLIAM 1815 you have
ANDREW 03 Oct 1818 birth 27 Sep 1818

Abode Aberwick parish of Long Edlingham

Above in FreeREG

Familysearch also has Bapt Glanton to John/Jane;
JOHN 5 October 1803 birth 17 Sept 1803
JAMES 15 July 1805 birth 13 July 1805
THOMAS 23 June 1807 birth 19 June 1807

So not the John born c 1791?

Trish :)

Hi Trish

Thats what I cant understand. William from the census was born in Chatton but his parents it seems  were John and Jane, Peters birth I cant find but if William belongs to the same family as Jane, Catherine, Andrew, or John, James and Thomas he wouldn`t have been born in 1791 as it said on the census.The only other John Murdie I found was born in 1791 in Longhoughton to Anthony Murdie and Jane Shephard but he died in 1828.

The two deaths that match are the one I have in 1854 and the one in Glendale in 1860 in Glendale but that would still have him born in abt 1783 uless he lied about his age.

The family just gets more complicated as it goes and goes full circle. John Murdie is both 3x great grandfather and 4x great grandfather to my husband. Peter and John Murdie sons of John and Ann married their next door neighbours Elizabeth and Barbara Duff, daughters of Andrew Duff. I also found that William Duff their brother married a Frances Murdie born 1823 in Ford who was daughter to Robert Murdie and Frances Mattison. Looking at the naming patterns of the children of William and Frances and the familes of Peter and John Murdie he names are similar so I wonder if there is  connection between Robert Murdie born 1787 in Duddo whos father was Henry

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 24 January 19 10:16 GMT (UK) »
Yes it is a very complicated one and at this stage I have no solution to it :-[

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline geordiesue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 15 May 19 23:18 BST (UK) »

Just for the record it looks like the John Murdie you refer to here was buried at Doddington
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-6SCS-Z1H?i=235&wc=9K59-6TR%3A13617901%2C19209201%2C19209202&cc=1309819

Thank you Jen

It looks like this is the John Murdie I`m looking for. I have received the Death certificate and he died in Doddington 26 Dec 1860 Aged 77 of Old Age Not confirmed. It states he was a farm labourer.

Present at his death was Ann Murdie who was my Husband`s GG Grandmother, John Murdies daughter. In 1861 Ann was working as a farm servant in Doddington. From what it seems Ann had 2 illigitimate children My husband`s G Grandfather John Murdie in Shoreswood in 1854 and George Murdie 1864 in Bedlington. Both boys seemed to be passed between their uncles probably because their mother worked on the farms.

I`m still trying to find Anns father`s birth and also I haven`t been able to find Ann after the 1871 census. She was still quite young at so might have married as I haven`t been able to find a death for her