Author Topic: DNA in genealogy surname Bay  (Read 1943 times)

Offline Bay89

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
DNA in genealogy surname Bay
« on: Tuesday 22 January 19 17:59 GMT (UK) »
23andMe updated my ancestry and stated that my DNA, compared to other 23andMe users ancestry was found in three Counties in Great Britain and Ireland in Ireland it was pinpointed to County Dublin in Scotland it was pinpointed to Glasgow City in an England it was pinpointed to greater London District. Does anybody know of any resources or have any good tips to find the surname Bay also possibly spelled baye Bayes Bays Bey in County Dublin prior to the year 1635 possible migration from County Dublin Ireland to Scotland or a migration from Dublin Ireland to England? Thank you
BAY; Bayes;Bays

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: DNA in genealogy surname Bay
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 January 19 21:19 GMT (UK) »
There are some online databases which show surname distribution but these are based on surnames taken from the censuses. There is no such thing for the C17th.

You could have a search nevertheless - it might give you some idea. https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/Surname_Distribution_Maps

There are no records of any movement between Scotland, Ireland and England at any time in history.

Offline LH

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 January 19 21:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I know its a good bit later than the era you enquired about, but in the Title Aplotments of 1823 - 1837 there is mention of four Bay folk, spread across Ireland, from West to East, ie Donegal, Cavan, Meath and Wexford.  Take a look at:-

http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/search/tab/results.jsp?surname=Bay&firstname=&county=&parish=&townland=&search=Search

Regards

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 January 19 22:29 GMT (UK) »
This is running slow for me so I did not explore many of your "Bay" and variant surnames in any depth:
http://gbnames.publicprofiler.org/Surnames.aspx

There are pages of "Bay" variants here but no "Bay". Bayes is mainly concentrated in the East Midlands. Distribution of surnames from the 1881 census so unlikely to be relevant for the era you are looking at.

What is the significance of the year of 1635?

Offline Bay89

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 22 January 19 22:36 GMT (UK) »
This is running slow for me so I did not explore many of your "Bay" and variant surnames in any depth:
http://gbnames.publicprofiler.org/Surnames.aspx

There are pages of "Bay" variants here but no "Bay". Bayes is mainly concentrated in the East Midlands. Distribution of surnames from the 1881 census so unlikely to be relevant for the era you are looking at.

What is the significance of the year of 1635?
the significance of the Year 1635 is the Year John Bay left the Gravesend port for the colony of Virginia age 16
BAY; Bayes;Bays

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 January 19 22:54 GMT (UK) »
I presume you are therefore looking for John Bay's origins in the British Isles? Do you know anything about his family or origins from documents in America?

May I ask what sort of DNA test you took? Autosomal? Y-DNA?

Offline Bay89

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 22 January 19 23:13 GMT (UK) »
I presume you are therefore looking for John Bay's origins in the British Isles? Do you know anything about his family or origins from documents in America?

May I ask what sort of DNA test you took? Autosomal? Y-DNA? I

took a y DNA test I am f g c 20048 which is y 4171 or I L126. I know that he was eventually filed on a headright claim with a John Blackburn in 1642 the man that was claiming them name was William Eyers John Baydisappeared from records but his son John Bay appears in Baltimore Maryland First in the lower Patapsco hundred tax rolls next in the upper Patapsco hundred tax rolls I know that John Bay born 1619 he left Gravesend port 1635 on the ship safety*** Masters name was John graunt
BAY; Bayes;Bays

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 22 January 19 23:25 GMT (UK) »
It seems that you know quite a lot about John.  :)

Keep in mind that depending on location, what records were kept, what records survive etc, there may or may not be any (surviving) record of John's birth/baptism in Great Britain. It is very early and although there are quite a few people on rootschat who have experience in such early research, many do not.

There are a few John Bays on Familysearch:
https://www.familysearch.org/search/
but unless you can find a way to link your known John to these, you would just be guessing - just because you find a likely one it does not follow that this is your John.

Without a more precise idea of where John hailed from, I'm not sure what help we can offer. :-\

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 23 January 19 00:02 GMT (UK) »
It is the end of the day and the brain is not working at peak, but here are a few thoughts.

Do you know who else was on board the ship and where they came from? Did they all have the same set of political or religious beliefs, e.g., Puritans, Royalists, etc? Could either aspect narrow down John's origin in the British Isles?

Was John Bay traveling with anyone? I guess 16 wouldn't have seemed as young back than as now, but it seems young to be traveling by himself. If not, was he part of the crew?

Would someone from Glasgow or Dublin have to go to Gravesend to leave for the American colonies back then, or were there closer ports?  Since he left from Gravesend, are the probabilities higher that your ancestor was from London?

Dumb but basic question: were the "way back" matches on men also named Bay/Bayes, etc? Our surname matches a few that are different, even though it was a y-DNA test.

And you might be into the realm of history rather than genealogy. I mean you might need to look for references in literature, historical writings, etc., for men named Bay in London, Dublin, and Glasgow. Court records? Parliamentary records? I don't know what is available.

Leaving at age 16, you probably wouldn't find John himself, but maybe a trace of the family. Any indication of their economic or social state?

Has anyone done a one name study of Bay?