Author Topic: Searching a date range on Ancestry?  (Read 567 times)

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Searching a date range on Ancestry?
« on: Tuesday 22 January 19 20:36 GMT (UK) »
On Findmypast search it is easy to enter a date for an event and then enter a range either side of that date. I can’t see how to do the same on Ancestry.

I’m trying to find the baptism of an individual who was probably under 21 in 1818, but not very young (based on a legacy in a will). Also, he was probably born in Warwickshire. What is the most effective way to search on Ancestry, to avoid trawling through vast numbers of records?

Dave :)
ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Searching a date range on Ancestry?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 January 19 20:46 GMT (UK) »
I may have misunderstood your query -- but you can search for a plus or minus 10 year date range on Ancestry but only a plus or minus 5 year range on Find My Past.

Have I misunderstood you maybe? Do you want to give the name you seek for others to have a look?
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 January 19 20:54 GMT (UK) »
FindMyPast is 40 yrs search either side of a date and Ancestry 10 years.

I would try a baptism on Ancestry for him + or - 10 yrs with birth date of 1800 therefore covering 1790 - 1810

You could try Family Search and set your own parameters.
GEDmatch M157477

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 January 19 21:00 GMT (UK) »
On Ancestry is “up to” 10 years, so you can make the search date range lower if you wish.

To get fewer results you could also try “exact” search. If you get no results, or the wrong results, you can expand the search, use wildcards etc.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 22 January 19 21:02 GMT (UK) »
Oh Wow - Medpat -- I've subscribed to Find My Past for donkey's years - but never realised you could use the down arrow to take you past the 5 years which initially shows when you click it! What a plonker I am.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 January 19 21:12 GMT (UK) »
We've all done it Pennines ;D ;D ;D

Pat
GEDmatch M157477

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 23 January 19 08:21 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the replies. I can now see that the opportunity to set a date range appears on Ancestry only after entering a date in the box. This had confused me because on Findmypast the date range button is visible before entering any date. I still think I prefer the range offered by FindMyPast, but at least I can cut out a lot of stuff now in my Ancestry search.

Dave :)
ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight