Author Topic: Still going mad re the Langtons!  (Read 2419 times)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Still going mad re the Langtons!
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 23 January 19 12:19 GMT (UK) »
No need for 2 threads on same people!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 23 January 19 16:41 GMT (UK) »
Apologies, as I've stated on the other thread I was trying to separate out different parts of Joseph's life and clearly not done so as well as I'd hoped.

Perhaps the mods could merge the threads? (Is that possible?)

That notwithstanding, thank you all for all your input so far! You've come up with a lot of suggestions and not all overlapped! I'll try to answer a few queries that have cropped up:

I have no proof that my Joseph was actually married to Mary. I've never found a marriage for them. But let's call them married, for the sake of brevity. They are named as the parents on the baptisms of all the children I've mentioned between 1812-1827. (One Joseph Langton had banns read in 1810 to a different woman, but the banns note that the marriage was not allowed by the bride's mother! So maybe Joseph decided not to bother a second time!)

There are errors on some certificates, maybe errors on the censuses (thanks for spotting "Thomas" in 1851!) and I've only been able to make some of the links through other means, eg. witnesses at weddings and shared graves.

That notwithstanding:
1835 - wedding between "Louisa" Langton and William Wakelin -- the certificate is currently refusing to load on the comp but I've seen it before, father confirmed Joseph Langton and something to do with hosiery making (weren't they all in Leicester!!). Not stated as deceased.

1841 - John Langton m Mary Wade -- father Joseph Langton, FWK. Witnesses Thomas and Mary Ann Kilner (the Kilner wedding was witnessed by John Langton and Mary Wade earlier that year).

1846 - Elizabeth Langton m John Jeayes --- and Elizabeth's father shown as Joseph Jeayes, FWK!! I am 100% convinced this was an admin error. Witnesses John Langton and Eliza Wakeling.

1871 - Eliza Wakeling, widow, married Isaac Glover. Father Joseph Langton, FWK.

(and inbetween, Eliza lived as "wife" to Thomas Kilner when he was widowed, Thomas Kilner's son married Elizabeth Langton/Jeayes daughter, Elizabeth Jeayes' death cert gives the wrong name, and several members of the Langton and Kilner families share a grave. Confusing to try to explain but it helped to pinpoint people).

As someone has already said, one Samuel Langton was witness to the marraige of Joseph Langton and Elizabeth Peters in 1831. The certificate doesn't state whether either groom or bride was single or widowed. I don't know Samuel - he was part of the question I was trying to pose on the other thread.

Joseph's daughter Elizabeth (who married Jeayes) is my ancestor and I can't find her in 1841, unless that is her in the Langton/Peters household.

I can't identify "Edward" in the 1841 census. Joseph baptised a son William in 1827 and I can't track him after this, so I thought it could be him with a name change. But Edward Langton appears in subsequent censuses married to Mary Ann --- and the possible marriage (1844, Mary Ann Gray) gives Edward's father as William Langton.

Can I prove or disprove that the Joseph Langton who was father of Eliza, Elizabeth, John (and others) is the same one as he who married Elizabeth Peters and had more children? Of note, none of the childrens' names across the two marriages are duplicated.

You can see why this is driving my nuts and I'm sorry if it's done the same to anyone else!

Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 23 January 19 17:52 GMT (UK) »
Joseph and Mary Langton - my 4x gt grandparents - are elusive.
If they married, it seems it wasn't in Leicestershire. Mary's surname is recorded somewhere as Hurst - I can't prove this.

There is a marriage at Wigston Magna between a Joseph Langham & Mary Hurst, but that was in 1757. 
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 23 January 19 18:47 GMT (UK) »
Joseph Langton married Elizabeth Peters on 12th September 1831. Samuel Langton was one of the witnesses.

The marriage was at St Nicholas, and a Samuel Langton was the parish clerk of that parish, per his will.  He witnessed several of the other marriages on the surrounding pages. 

Joseph made his mark whereas Samuel signed and was a property owner, so the groom & witness having the same surname may simply be a coincidence.  The other witness was William Peters.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 23 January 19 18:58 GMT (UK) »
On 16 Apr 1854 Maria Langton aged 17 of Wheat Street married James Hill, a Boatman.  Her father was named as Joseph Langton, FWK.  Wits Mary Langton & John Langton.  All signed X

The only Maria Langton I can find in 1851 is at Wheat Street with a father named Thomas a FWK aged 65 & mother Elizabeth 48.  In the same household is a son named Henry Langton aged 8, but the only Henry Langton birth that fits is this one:

LANGTON, HENRY   mmn    PETERS 
GRO Reference: 1842  S Quarter in LEICESTER UNION  Volume 15  Page 75

Looks to me like Joseph has been wrongly enumerated as Thomas in 1851.

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 23 January 19 22:06 GMT (UK) »
I kind of feel this is starting to come together - I could do with that elusive "proof" that this is all the same Joseph Langton, but so often we have to look at the balance of possibilities instead.
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 23 January 19 23:34 GMT (UK) »
Still not 'proof' but the missing William baptised Nov 1827 may be the one buried 16 Sep 1833 aged 7, although he is named in the burial register as the son of Joseph & Elizabeth Langton, Metcalf Street

A Joseph & Elizabeth Langton of Metcalf Street baptised a son Joseph on 4 Dec 1839, and the only matching birth has the MMN Peters.

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 26 January 19 01:25 GMT (UK) »
Still not 'proof' but the missing William baptised Nov 1827 may be the one buried 16 Sep 1833 aged 7, although he is named in the burial register as the son of Joseph & Elizabeth Langton, Metcalf Street

A Joseph & Elizabeth Langton of Metcalf Street baptised a son Joseph on 4 Dec 1839, and the only matching birth has the MMN Peters.

There is also this:
(From the other topic)
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=806996.0

GRO BIRTHS:
Cornelius LANGTON.  registered Jun Qtr 1845, Leicester. Mms PETERS

GRO DEATH:
Cornelius LANGTON age 1, registered Mar Qtr 1847, Leicester
Burial: St Mary de Castro, Leicester on 3 Feb 1847, Cornelius Langton of Metcalf Street.

Good find Jomot, re: Samuel Langton, the serial marriage witness!

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 26 January 19 01:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annie,

I noticed, in your list of names in your signature:

There was an elderley COOPER woman in  the LANGTON/PETERS household in 1841....?

I had posted the following 1841 details in the other topic:

HO107 - Piece 604 / Book: 9 /  Folio: 13 / Pg 19
Providence Place, St Margaret Leicester
Jos'h LANGTON 50, Stocking M
Eliz'h LANGTON 30?  (her recorded age is pretty questionable, not clearly a 3)
Eliz'h LANGTON 15, Stocking M
Edw'd LANGTON 15, Bobbin Turn'r
Mary LANGTON 4
Jos'h LANGTON 9 months
Eliz. COOPER 70, Ind.
All born Leicestershire

Also, which is the son in 1841 that you can't account for (you'd mentioned that on the other topic)?

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)