Author Topic: Jenkin Williams Llandefalle wealthy family (Skreen, Velyn Newydd) 1760 to 1800s  (Read 7856 times)

Offline Llanfihangel

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Rootschat and the Library of Wales..... Superb!
    • View Profile
Re: Jenkin Williams Llandefalle wealthy family (Skreen, Velyn Newydd) 1760 to 1800s
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday 06 August 19 20:14 BST (UK) »
Hello Redkite
Good luck at The Library... Take a digital camera; They charge an arm and a leg for hard copies!!

I found a couple of references to Jenkin Williams... Tucker... maybe his knowledge of milling helped at New Mill.
Also Brechfa (and probably Brechfa Farm) is only a mile away from Felin Newydd

Cheers,

Llanfi
 :) :) :) :) :) :)
Pugh, Powell, Williams, Maddox, Prosser

Offline Redkite23

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jenkin Williams Llandefalle wealthy family (Skreen, Velyn Newydd) 1760 to 1800s
« Reply #46 on: Saturday 31 August 19 10:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Llanfi

Having visited NLW I am now even more confused. I went through the Bishops Transcripts for Llandefalle. There are some years missing but there seems to be another Jenkin Williams. He married Elizabeth Lewis in 1774 and had a son William in 1776 who died in 1787 and then Thomas. It is just about possible that this is the Jenkin Williams who went to Peterchurch but I cannot find a death for Elizabeth and a second marriage for Jenkin. Jenkin of Petrchurch died in 1809 aged 52(could be wrong) and this would give a birth date of 1757 which would make him an age of 17 at marriage. Seems possible but unlikely that Jenkin Williams would have married at this age. My own opinion is that there were two Jenkin Williams with the inheritor of Velin Newydd having already left Llandefalle for Herefordshire. ( I looked for the baptisms of Jenkin Williams and Mary Beavans first two children but they are not recorded in Llandefalle or Peterchurch)

Second problem is the Will of Jenkin Williams dated 1660.  He was wealthy and owned more that one mill. He mentions his natural brother Edward Parry and his wife Elizabeth which fits with the Will of Edward Parry. Problem is the writing does not seem to match the 1660 Jenkin Williams Will that you have. Please have a look to see what you think. I found the 1660 Will at NLW very difficult to read.