Author Topic: Jenkin Williams Llandefalle wealthy family (Skreen, Velyn Newydd) 1760 to 1800s  (Read 7834 times)

Offline julefamily

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
item ordered as E/W marriage certificate. COL 516964/2019. Do not understand the length of time it takes to get documentations.  Ordered April 28. Was suppose to be dispatched 21 May, As of yesterday's mail June 1, not received.  Thought it was ordered one other time never received it.  I have been billed and paid for it. ????  confusing. ??? ::)
Ireland:  Langan, Langham
Wales:  Williams, Jones, Evans, Bembo, Hill
Slovakia:  Hudack
Pennsylvania USA: Langan, Williams, Hill, Bembo
New York: USA: Fergueson, Lee, Dineen
Philliphines:  LeGarda
Scotland:  Lockhardt

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
have you contacted the GRO to ask about it?
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline julefamily

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Hi Ospry,

Yes, sent and e-mail.  They sent an automatic reply - to check inquiry.  Will not make a long distance call to England (too expensive)
Ireland:  Langan, Langham
Wales:  Williams, Jones, Evans, Bembo, Hill
Slovakia:  Hudack
Pennsylvania USA: Langan, Williams, Hill, Bembo
New York: USA: Fergueson, Lee, Dineen
Philliphines:  LeGarda
Scotland:  Lockhardt

Offline Redkite23

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Jenkin Williams Llandefalle wealthy family (Skreen, Velyn Newydd) 1760 to 1800s
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 03 July 19 21:25 BST (UK) »
I have a problem locating Jenkin Williams of Peterchurch and Dorstone. I have traced him from his Daughter Hannah Beavan Williams baptised 1796 in Peterchurch. Hannah's mother was Williams and she had sisters Fortune and Mary and possibly Elizabeth. Also a brother Thomas Beavan Williams baptised 1791 at Peterchurch. There is an admon at Hereford Archives giving sole rights of exectorix to Mary Williams widow of Jenkin Williams. Date of death of Jenkin was 14 May 1810 at Dorstone. Seems they left Peterchurch and moved to Dorstone. This does not seem to correspond to the Jenkin Williams Will dated 1813 at Dorstone. Suggests two Jenkin Williams in Dorstone.

Hereford Archives also has a will and admon dated 1824 for a Jenkin Williams of Dorstone son of the late Jenkin Williams of Bage. I can only find a Bach near Dorstone which may have been written as Bage by a non welsh speaking cleric. This second will was attached to an admon making Mary Williams his mother executor with Mary claiming he did not make a will. However, his brother Samuel Beavan Williams claimed there was a will naming him as executor. This resulted in the three sisters sharing a third of the proceeds. This seems to be similar to the 1813 will at NLW.  However, this gives a further extension to the family I am looking for with Hannah four siblings being baptised at Peterchurch and her elder brothers Jenkin and Samuel Beavan born elsewhere. Could this have been Llandefalle??. Jenkin Williams the son died in 1822 according to his will aged 38 years. This would suggest a birth around 1774.  I would appreciate anybody with access to Llandefalle looking this up

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Jenkin Williams Llandefalle wealthy family (Skreen, Velyn Newydd) 1760 to 1800s
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 04 July 19 08:49 BST (UK) »
FindMyPast Marriages (image)

A Jenkin Williams married a Mary Beavan at Newchurch, Radnorshire on 10 Feb 1782. New Church north of Dorstone/Bage. One of the witnesses was a Samuel Beavan. I recall seeing "Samuel Beavan, Proctor" recorded in an earlier marriage ceremony within the register. Need to re-check.

The Jenkin Williams, died 1822, age 38, would have been born 1784, not 1774 as posted?

Offline Redkite23

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 04 July 19 09:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks Hanes teulu. A birthyear of 1784 makes a goof fit with the information I already have. There seems a lot of intermarriage between cousins in these families. I assume that was common at the time
Redkite 23

Offline Llanfihangel

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Rootschat and the Library of Wales..... Superb!
    • View Profile
Hi,
Have a look at Elizabeth Williams (Skreen) will of 1749 It can be viewed on-line at the Library of Wales
Elizabeth bequeathed 100 pounds to each of the four children of her niece Fortune married to Samuel Beavan
Their names were Samuel, Elizabeth, John and Fortune...

There are many more relatives mentioned there

Cheers,

Llanfi  :) :) :) :) :)
Pugh, Powell, Williams, Maddox, Prosser

Offline Redkite23

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Thanks Llanfi. That is extremely useful.
Redkite23

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
FindMyPast has transcribed the baptismal details of a -

Mary Beavan, May 13th 1763, place Newchurch, Radnorshire, father Samuel, mother not recorded. However, looking at the original I am pretty sure the mother's name is "Fortune" - but difficult to make out. Might well be I am seeing what I want to see - easily done!

On the same page - before the year "1763" - is an entry for the baptism of a Thomas Beavan, 25th September (no year present against any entry), place Newchurch, father Sam'l (looks like) and mother Fortune. FindMyPast has transcribed the year as "1754.

I looked at the previous page which is headed "1754" but I think there may be some confusion re. the order of the documents.