Author Topic: Jenkin Williams Llandefalle wealthy family (Skreen, Velyn Newydd) 1760 to 1800s  (Read 7742 times)

Offline Llanfihangel

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Rootschat and the Library of Wales..... Superb!
    • View Profile
Hi!

Jenkin Williams had brothers Thomas, John, and Richard all wealthy landowners in Llandeilo Graban, Crickardarn, and Llandefalle in the late 1700s.

There are wills at the Library of Wales for Thomas Williams, owner of Velyn Newydd, Llandefalle, and Skreen Llandeilo Graban, Radnorshire and Richard Williams of Crickardarn who both died 1792/3.

They both refer to brother Jenkin Williams who seems to have taken up a mortgage for 2000 pounds on Skreen for Thomas Williams, and to have borrowed 200 pounds by bond from Richard Williams.

Richard Williams left small inheritances to  Richard Williams, Thomas Williams and Elinor Williams all CHILDREN of Jenkin Williams who was still alive in 1792. This money to be paid after Jenkin Williams death

I can't find any records of Thomas Williams the son of Jenkin Williams (or much about the father Jenkin Williams). I think Thomas would have been born around 1775, probably in Llandefalle.

I would like to have any data on Thomas Williams and his father Jenkin Williams.

I have been researching events at Skreen Farm (tenant David Pugh) and William Williams who married a daughter of David Pugh in 1792 and went to Ohio. There were several emigrants from that area to Radnor Ohio around 1810.

Thomas Williams might have been one of them!

Thanks once again....

Llanfi  :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
Pugh, Powell, Williams, Maddox, Prosser

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jenkin Williams Llandefalle wealthy family (Skreen, Velyn Newydd) 1760 to 1800s
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 January 19 22:28 GMT (UK) »
The NLW has a collection of Skreen and Velin Newydd Deeds.

One is Probate of the will of Jenkin (also Jinkin) Williams of p. Dorstone, Herefordshire, dated 3 May 1813. Testator bequeathed as follows: One third of my real property equally between my three sisters, Elizabeth, Mary and Hannah. Residue to my brother Samuel Beavan Williams, whom I appoint sole executor. Witnesses: George Evans, Elizabeth Evans.

Offline Llanfihangel

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Rootschat and the Library of Wales..... Superb!
    • View Profile
Re: Jenkin Williams Llandefalle wealthy family (Skreen, Velyn Newydd) 1760 to 1800s
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 24 January 19 00:42 GMT (UK) »
Hello Mabel!

Thank you for so thoroughly researching those documents at the NLW. I subsequently reviewed them myself, and didn't find another reference to Jenkin Williams, so I went back to have another look at Thomas Williams will of 1792.

It states that he owned an property called the Willbrook Estate in the Parish of Peterchurch Hereford. It was to become his after the death of his mother Bridget Williams. Thomas instructed "John Hughes and Hugh Bold" to SELL Willbrook as soon as he that happened. The Proceeds were to be applied to repayment of a 2000 pound mortgage that he had previously obtained from Jenkin Williams.

It is possible that Jenkin was living at Willbrook with his mother in 1792, and might have acquired the estate after she died. Dorstone is a couple of miles North of Peterchurch, and Willbrook Manor is a couple of miles South.

Judging from the interior of Willbrook Manor (see attached), Jenkin would have been well advised to move elsewhere, so it is highly likely that he moved to Dorstone, where his will was made.

There is a good description of Willbrook on the Web, it is currently owned by the Vivat Trust

So I think this is the Jenkin Williams, brother of Thomas Williams Skreen and Velyn Newydd.

Thomas seems to have been in a financial mess when he made his will in 1792, and I think it was the beginning of the end of the Family estates.  Thomas had a liability of 2000 pounds to Jenkin, at the same time bequeathing thousands to his sons John and Thomas and two daughters Elizabeth and Bridgett.

There is no mention of Jenkin Williams children anywhere on-line that I can find, so his son Thomas could well remain a mystery.

Thanks for your help... it provided me with a lot more information on the Williams family of Skreen etc.

My very best regards

llanfi  :) :) :) :) :)
Pugh, Powell, Williams, Maddox, Prosser

Offline julefamily

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 01 June 19 14:09 BST (UK) »
IS THERE ANY CHANCE MY JENKIN WILLIAMS (BORN 1862-1887) IS RELATED TO THIS FAMILY.  DIED AT THE DINAS STEAM COLLIERY ON 5 JANUARY 1887.  MARRIED SUSANNAH EVANS IN 1883.  HAD 2 SONS BEFORE HE DIED (DANIEL WILLIAMS 29 JUNE. 1883 BORN IN TYNEWYDD WALES AND ISAAC WILLIAMS BORN OCTOBER 1886).  MOTHER, SUSANNA,  AND 2 SONS IMMIGRATED TO SCRANTON, PA (March 1886) AND DIED in SCRANTON,PA.

FATHER AND SPOUSE TO SUSANNA , JENKIN WILLIAMS BURIED IN UNMARKED GRAVE AT TREALAW, CEMETERY (BURIAL 1433- PLOT-J981).  CAN ANYONE HELP?, PLEASE. ???
Ireland:  Langan, Langham
Wales:  Williams, Jones, Evans, Bembo, Hill
Slovakia:  Hudack
Pennsylvania USA: Langan, Williams, Hill, Bembo
New York: USA: Fergueson, Lee, Dineen
Philliphines:  LeGarda
Scotland:  Lockhardt

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 01 June 19 15:40 BST (UK) »
What is Jenkins Fathers name/occp from the 1883 Marriage Cert?

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 01 June 19 20:42 BST (UK) »
more info in this post and there are others

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=696669.54
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline julefamily

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Ordered marriage cert in April, Have not received the cert yet so I do not have his father's name. 
Ireland:  Langan, Langham
Wales:  Williams, Jones, Evans, Bembo, Hill
Slovakia:  Hudack
Pennsylvania USA: Langan, Williams, Hill, Bembo
New York: USA: Fergueson, Lee, Dineen
Philliphines:  LeGarda
Scotland:  Lockhardt

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
did you order it as a pdf? In which case, you need to go into your GRO account and look for My Orders, the pdf will be there and you can view & download it.
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Llanfihangel,
Have you checked "Welsh Journals"   https://journals.library.wales/search/advanced

Found a reference to a Jenkin Williams, Velin Newydd, sheriff of Brecknockshire, 1739. Also mention of a Jenkin Williams, Llandefalle - but this was 17th Century.

Check variations in spelling (velin/velyn/felin etc; crickadarn/crucadarn etc)

Note - if search key more than one word, wrap the search key with "   " (eg "velin newydd") - else it searches on each separate word.