Author Topic: Rothesay records  (Read 3153 times)

Offline EdinKath

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Rothesay records
« on: Tuesday 22 January 19 23:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I'm trying to solve a mystery that has a Rothesay connection.

I have a baptism record from Orkney that reads: "Charles Campbell from Rothesay and Catherine Sinclair, then residing in Stronsay, now in Kirkwall, a son (illegit), born May 4, 1841, named Charles, and baptized April 25 1848 by the Rev Wm Sinclair".

Catherine Sinclair never married and Charles was her only son. Apart from the 1841 census where he was listed as Charles Sinclair, he was Charles Campbell on every other document and his father was named on his marriage and death certificates.

This baptism is the only time that I've found Charles Campbell from Rothesay on any record in Orkney and I have no other information about him. Assuming that he could be aged anywhere between 18 and 60 when Charles junior was conceived, that would give him a date of birth between around 1780 and 1822.

I've done a search of Rothesay births on Freereg and Family search and only found one candidate - a Charles Campbell born in 1816, parents Charles Campbell and Jean McKirdy. He married Margaret Macfie in 1839 and his occupation was listed as Cooper.

So my first question is how extensive are baptism records from Rothesay? Are a lot of records missing so there could be many more Charles Campbells within that age range and therefore no chance of finding the right one?

And my second question is whether people from Bute regularly travelled to Orkney? I understand that both Bute and Stronsay had herring fishing. Could seasonal herring fishing be why Charles Campbell went to Orkney but had left by the 1841 census?
Thanks!

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Rothesay records
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 January 19 23:23 GMT (UK) »
Many records are missing from many parishes as statutory records only began in 1855.

Try scotlandspeople.gov.uk

A possible for 1841

CAMPBELL CHARLES 50
558/8/15 Rothesay, Bute

What was Charles' occ. on his sons marriage & death?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 January 19 23:42 GMT (UK) »
1841 has him as Chas, a Gardiner (sic) but some of the family are missing from the page.

https://www.freecen.org.uk/search_records/5a142b69f4040b9d6e16ad2c?search_id=5c47a86cf493fd025b78bfc3

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 January 19 23:49 GMT (UK) »
SP Index (1841) all same ref. no. (one household) 558/8/15 Rothesay, Bute

All Campbell

George 60
Margaret 55
Charles 50
Rosina 25
John 15
Hendry 8
Margaret 3
Catherine 2

Of course no way of telling relationships

Annie

Offline EdinKath

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 23 January 19 22:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annie,
Thanks for your replies. There was no occupation listed for Charles Campbell on either his son's marriage or death certificate. His name and 'from Rothesay' is all I have to go on. Needle in a haystack!

The list of names you gave under the 558/8/15 reference I think are different households. The old version of Freecen - where you can scroll back through neighbouring households (https://freecen1.freecen.org.uk/cgi/search.pl) - has 2 different Campbell households listed on page 15: Geo, Margt, and Hendry in one, and then 3 households later Edward, Rosina, Margt and Catherine. It lists Chas Campbell, 50, on page 16 with Jane, John and Jean Campbell in a separate household to the other Campbells. I think Chas and Jane are the parents of the Charles Campbell born in 1816. So I guess either Charles could be the one.

I think the key to this is what would take someone all the way from Bute to Stronsay and that might be seasonal herring fishing (as I don't think there was any other reason to go to Stronsay!) so if anyone has information about that, I'd love to know more.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 24 January 19 09:16 GMT (UK) »
The old version of Freecen - where you can scroll back through neighbouring households (https://freecen1.freecen.org.uk/cgi/search.pl)
You still can in v2 but the buttons are in a row at the top of the screen and you have to scroll up from a household to see them.

IMO FreeCEN v2 is a complete disaster compared with v1.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 24 January 19 14:11 GMT (UK) »
I think Chas and Jane are the parents of the Charles Campbell born in 1816. So I guess either Charles could be the one.

I think the key to this is what would take someone all the way from Bute to Stronsay and that might be seasonal herring fishing (as I don't think there was any other reason to go to Stronsay!)

I didn't find another Charles on Rothesay who was of age to be a father not to say the Charles aged 50 is the correct person.

Can you tell us the occ. of Charles b1816 please as occupations can help in deciding on theories?
Edit, Ooops, I'd forgot about the baptism you found but where was he living in 1841?

If Charles the Gardener was the correct man then there may have been an estate he worked on?
A Gardener isn't/wasn't just someone who cuts grass & digs out weeds i.e. sought after by the 'well-to-do'.

An e.g...I know of someone who arrived late 1700s on the Isle of South Uist (Inverness-shire) from Italy (a Caterer) & ended his life working for Lord Hallyburton in Kettins, Forfarshire (miles from South Uist) through Clanranald connections.
He made wines etc. from the fruits in the garden but had a fruitful life with illegitimate children too as well as being married.

If Charles was away from home for periods then who knows?
Just curious, how old was Catherine when she gave birth, the fact she never married?

IMO FreeCEN v2 is a complete disaster compared with v1.

So different, thought I'd logged into a wrong site when it changed over & can't say I favour it at all. All these things supposedly for the better seem so much harder to navigate. The simplicity of v1 was great although links weren’t available but I’m sure they could have worked on that & left the rest as was?

Annie

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 24 January 19 18:03 GMT (UK) »
Annie,

Catherine Sinclair was the daughter of Peter & Catherine Campbell died 09 Aug 1876 in Kirkwall, her son Charles Campbell was the informant.

Perhaps the very popular first cousin scenario possibly fits, maybe not.  In the 1851 she states she is from Latheron which has a ton of Campbells including only one Charles b 1820.

If you look at the 1841 there are more.  Peter is living with Nancy Sinclair (62) and her perhaps a daughter or granddaughter named Betsy (15). Peter lists Catherine; daughter Catherine; Betsy; Helen and son William.  Charles is last being (1).

The OFHS www.orkneyfhs.co.uk has a couple of quasi trees someone started on this family.  Their BMD's may help. The burial books are non-existent for this period but many of the graveyards have been surveyed although I see no stones for this family.

The library in Kirkwall is a pretty good resource as well albeit slow in responding.

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 24 January 19 19:34 GMT (UK) »
Stronsay had an important herring fishing station & coopers were essential to that. The fleet moved south as the season progressed & the curers with their gutters, packers & coopers moved with them, ending up in Yarmouth. There were years in which herring was scarce in the Clyde which probably explains Stronsay?

Skoosh.