Author Topic: All-India Rugby  (Read 1512 times)

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
All-India Rugby
« on: Wednesday 23 January 19 18:14 GMT (UK) »
Hello
I have failed to find a local library with copies of Western Mail for March 1933.  A search on FMY (see below) revealed the last piece in the jig-saw on my research into the career of Bert Turner.   I wonder if someone would be so kind to copy me the article as I don't have a subscription for FMY.

Kind Regards

Private Bert Turner, of Brithdir, Glamorgan, a forward. who recently broke the All-India Rugby kicking record. 
31 March 1933 - Western Mail - Cardiff, Glamorgan, Wales
anything and everything to do with the village of Brithdir, near New Tredegar in Gwent.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: All-India Rugby
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 January 19 20:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Roy, the article sadly says no more than you have quoted  ::)

Deirdre
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 January 19 21:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Deirdre
Its been a while, thanks for your reply, they don't makes things easy do they.  I've been researching Bert for his daughter now living abroad, completed his football career and when I found the article was hoping there would be some stats to quote which would have finished off his rugby career. 

Have you used Cathays Library to look through newspapers?

Regards, Roy
anything and everything to do with the village of Brithdir, near New Tredegar in Gwent.

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 23 January 19 21:22 GMT (UK) »
I have been there a few times. Better newspaper computer facilities than they had at Central but getting there not great, and parking a nightmare  ::)
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 23 January 19 21:25 GMT (UK) »
Roy, have you seen the wikipedia entry on Bert  :)

Doesn’t mention the rugby though i’m afraid.

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 24 January 19 11:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Deirdre
Yes seen the wikipedia article.  I've covered practically everything there is to know of his football career as player and manager. 

I have used Cathay's Library on one occasion and as you've mentioned parking was a problem.

Regards, Roy