Author Topic: Change of denominations  (Read 1021 times)

Offline Puffin81

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Change of denominations
« on: Wednesday 23 January 19 20:07 GMT (UK) »
Ive noticed in my tree the denomination was catholic, but around the late 1800s early 1900s there looks to be a definite shift the CofE, did something happen to cause people to change?

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Change of denominations
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 January 19 20:22 GMT (UK) »
Intermarriage & discrimination!

Skoosh.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 January 19 20:39 GMT (UK) »
Most likely intermarriage, as Skoosh has said.  I have the same thing in my family. Both were men converting to their bride's religion.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 24 January 19 01:44 GMT (UK) »
What makes you think they changed? Were there C. of E. baptisms or was it just marriages?
 Catholics marrying in an Anglican church before 1908 didn't signify a change in religion. The Catholic Church recognised them as valid marriages.
 The Pope published a decree known as "Ne Temere" in 1907. This came into force worldwide at Easter 1908. It regulated Catholic canon law on marriage of a Roman Catholic. It required a Catholic to marry in the bride's parish in the presence of her parish priest or a priest designated by him. In the case of a mixed marriage the non-Catholic spouse was to promise to allow the children to be brought up in the Catholic faith.
Which country?
Cowban

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 24 January 19 08:31 GMT (UK) »
My own great grandparents were brought up and married as Catholics, and their first three children were baptised at the local RC church.

But as the eldest approached school age, all of a sudden baptisms change to the CofE, also within walking distance.

Guess which denomination ran the school around the corner from their house?
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 24 January 19 17:10 GMT (UK) »
Religious denomination of a major employer in an area may have been a factor. The employer's family may have contributed to the building and upkeep of church, chapel, school and other facilities in the district. It may have been advantageous to belong to the same denomination of a locally important family.
Cowban

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 24 January 19 17:27 GMT (UK) »
When I started Big School in 1969, we were asked for our religion.  At 11, I had no idea, so I said CofE like most of the class.  A few boys answered Jewish.  I still wonder where they went when the rest of us went to church at the end of each term.  Harrow-on-the-Hill didn't have a synagogue.  I don't even recall wondering where they went at certain times during the year.

Martin

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 24 January 19 17:41 GMT (UK) »
When I started Big School in 1969, we were asked for our religion.  At 11, I had no idea, so I said CofE like most of the class. 

Like in the army?
C. of E. was on military attestation papers of my great-grandfather, born 1870. All other evidence shows him to have been R.C.. He seemed uncertain whether he was married but was definite about his one child (my grandma). He may have left the religion box blank and a recruiting sergeant put C. of E. as the default option later.
Cowban

Offline Puffin81

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 24 January 19 19:08 GMT (UK) »
I suppose, I used to work with a girl who said she was Muslim, years later we found out she was “catholic” thought it would help her get a job then couldn’t get out of the lie.  So why would things be any different 100 years ago