Author Topic: DNA match research  (Read 526 times)

Offline ceebeeman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
DNA match research
« on: Thursday 24 January 19 02:54 GMT (UK) »
My mother was adopted at birth (1927) and my half sister and I share a 1st cousin x 2 match. This must be on the maternal side. Using research, can we find our maternal grandmother? if so, how? We are both new to dna research.

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: DNA match research
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 January 19 03:46 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat. :)

Have you contacted your match to see if they have a family tree? If so is there anyone who may be a candidate for your grandmother? Right sort of age, lived in the right part of the country etc?

Keep in mind that other family members may not know of your mother's birth so you may need to tread carefully.

I'm sure others will have some suggestions for you.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 24 January 19 08:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Have a look at this article:

https://www.lostcousins.com/newsletters2/wedding18.htm#Masterclass

and this chart:

https://dnapainter.com/tools/sharedcmv4

The article will give you some guidelines as to how to understand your results and the chart will tell you how to make approximations of relationships from the DNA readings in your results (centiMorgans - cMs).

A  grandmother should be in the cM range of 1156 – 2311

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 24 January 19 16:35 GMT (UK) »
ceebeeman, I'm not sure what you mean by a 1st cousin x 2 match.

A first cousin match obviously shares the same grandparents as you, but I don't think that's what you mean.

Any other degree of cousinship (?? 1st cousin twice removed) is an assumption by your testing company, based on averages. If your match is responsive and/or has a good online tree, you may be able to make some initial deductions, based on shared matches between the three of you.

Even if you can't find the exact connectIon between you all this time, other matches will probably turn up over time.

Ruskie and Gadget have given you some good advice and links. If you elaborate on '1st cousins x 2' others may be able to help more.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go