Author Topic: Help please - Stevenson Place, Baillieston - 1899  (Read 1020 times)

Offline theostler

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help please - Stevenson Place, Baillieston - 1899
« on: Thursday 24 January 19 13:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

I wonder if someone can shed light on where Stevenson Place, Baillieston might have been in 1899?

My GGF, Arthur Hoggan, died there in 1899 and all efforts to work out where it may have been have drawn a blank.

He was listed on the Death Certificate as being a Newspaper Correspondent and any info on that would be a huge help as well.

Many thanks in advance,

Steven

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Re: Help please - Stevenson Place, Baillieston - 1899
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 January 19 15:08 GMT (UK) »
Stevenson Place does not appear in any of the directories for the period but they do have a Stevenson Street although it is not in Baillieston but slightly further west in the Calton area.

Added : I've checked the 1913 map of the area I have and there is no sign of a Stevenson Place although there are several small un-named streets shown.

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 24 January 19 15:22 GMT (UK) »
On the 1901 Arthur's widow Jane is living at Stevenson Place Ballieston and on the 1901 census  it was next door to Main Street but I can't see it marked on this map  :-\  https://maps.nls.uk/view/82891935#zoom=4&lat=9711&lon=11712&layers=BT

Kay

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 24 January 19 15:37 GMT (UK) »
It's possible that Stevenson Place was on Main Street - one of the blocks of flats built there and set back slightly from the road. Builders of that period could basically call their buildings anything they wanted.

Offline theostler

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 24 January 19 17:29 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all replies.  I kind of suspected I might not be able to track it down directly as I have had a look at the NLS maps for the area.

I do know that his son, George, was born in 1872 in Penders Row or Lane  (which I believe to have been on Buchanan Street, approx Nr 45) and his wife, Jane, died on Longlee in 1922 which was just off Buchanan Street, so perhaps it was somewhere in that area.

Thanks again for all replies, it's greatly appreciated.

Steven

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 24 January 19 21:21 GMT (UK) »
        On the Valuation Rolls for 1895-96, it gives Arthur Hoggan living at 9 Stevenson Place, Baillieston.     He is an "Agent" - which doesn't tell you much.       

I went to school in Buchanan Street in the 1950's, and I was wondering about the area on Main Street between Buchanan Street and Scott Street.        Those houses are not tenements, like the majority still standing on Main Street.    They are a different type of house altogether.     Looking at them now, they have obviously been built at a more recent time than the tenements.      Like Falkyrn, I am thinking that Stevenson Place was there on or set back from the Main Street.

Yet, on the other hand, on the Valuation Rolls, just to confuse matters, Arthur Hoggan is at Penders Row in 1875, so as Penders Row was in Buchanan Street, was Stevenson Place also there - who knows?

There is a site: "Scottish Mining Website - Old Monkland Conditions of Miners.     If you scroll down, it has Penders Row.       From memory, I think it said it was between 45 and 67 Buchanan Street.     

Jane Hoggan was at 24 Stevenson Place in 1905.       [Sometimes the name is spelt Hogan, other times it is Hoggan]

I am in two minds whether Stevenson Place was in Buchanan Street or on the Main Street.

Offline bravaal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 27 January 19 16:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
    There is a red building just off the Main Street in Baillieston and today it is called Muiredge Terrace
 The building was built by my wife's great grandfather and his name was John Stevenson.
 Not beyond the realms of probability "Stevenson's Place"

I lived in the building in the early 70's
All family names in South Lanarkshire

Offline theostler

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 27 January 19 19:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi bravaal,

fantastic info and based on the 1901 census street index, seems to be a very plausible match.

https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/files/research/census-records/street-indexes/1901/1901-old-monkland.pdf

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply.

Steven

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 27 January 19 21:38 GMT (UK) »
        I tried this:   I went onto the Valuation Rolls on Scotlands People.     I went to  1905  and filled in, Surname: Stevenson.   County: Lanark.     Parish: Old Monkland.   Place: Baillieston.     Then clicked search, and a John Stevenson came up, living at Muiredge Terrace, Westend, Baillieston.

I haven't opened it yet.     Need credits.     Will do it tomorrow. 

Wonder if John Stevenson was a Landlord or whatever?