Author Topic: Downing/Downey Death Registration Magherafelt  (Read 1333 times)

Offline kjmck

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Downing/Downey Death Registration Magherafelt
« on: Friday 25 January 19 01:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone

I have a wee query to put to you all. I have been confused for months now whether I have the right family in my research because the names are constantly changing from Downey to Downing, and vice versa. But, the couple in question are David Downey* & Mary Devlin, married 24 May 1868, residing at Drummuck, all of their children - Hugh 1869, Patrick 1871, Catherine 1874, Mary Anne 1876, & David 1879, were born in Drummuck also. So I am going to go with the theory that I have the right people here.

However - Hugh Downey died in 1886, aged 17. And his sister Catherine registered the death as she was present when Hugh died. But it got me thinking that Catherine would only have been 12 when she registered the death. Was that allowed back then, for one so young to register a death?

Keelan

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Downing/Downey Death Registration Magherafelt
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 January 19 07:40 GMT (UK) »
It does say that the death was 'certified' as opposed to 'no medical attendant' and so it is probably that she was sitting with him when he died while under medical care, probably at home.  Family may/would have taken her in to say she saw him die, she would not have gone in herself I am picking. Just my supposition.  Children were not protected from these occurences as they are now and she would have been sitting with him to help out her mother etc.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 January 19 09:33 GMT (UK) »
Slightly older but I have a sister aged 15 as informant on her 2 year old brother's death.
Fairly common I would think, children were in the thick of births, illness and deaths in large famlies living in small cottages.
Girls in particular would have helped their mothers.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 25 January 19 15:36 GMT (UK) »
I have a certificate for a 12 year old boy as the informant when his grandmother died so it's entirely possible.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!