Author Topic: Looking for birth record for John McMullen b abt 1823, St Helier's Parish  (Read 1318 times)

Offline tomwdcraftr

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi    I’ve been trying to find my GG Grandfather’s birth record for about ten years with no luck. He was John McMullan/McMullen (last name spelling could vary), born about 1823, and was a shoemaker. He married at Church of Ireland, Downpatrick Cathedral, County Down, Ireland May 2, 1844 and I do have the marriage record.  By 1847 John and family were at Quebec, Canada. I lost track of John about 1852.

I just ran across a John McMullen, who registered to serve with the 43rd Foot Soldiers for the British Military, when he was just 14 years old in July of 1837.  This record shows this John was a shoemaker, and born about 1823.  The place of birth shows as Isle of Jersey, and Parish of St Helier.

I wonder if a record of birth at Isle of Jersey, for St Helier Parish for this John McMullen might be available?

Thanks!!  Tom McMillan

Offline la grande-méthe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for birth record for John McMullen b abt 1823, St Helier's Parish
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 January 19 09:50 GMT (UK) »
There's a baptism record for a John McMullen in 1823.

"John, son of James McMullen and Elizabeth his wife was baptized July the 2nd 1823. James Ree, godfather and Jane Lambert godmother."

The couple had another son, Hugh, baptized 5 Oct 1825

Offline tomwdcraftr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for birth record for John McMullen b abt 1823, St Helier's Parish
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 January 19 17:03 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much!!

Tom