Author Topic: Sarah Channon m. John Squire 10 Jul 1798 Cullompton, Devon  (Read 1053 times)

Offline sueappleton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sarah Channon m. John Squire 10 Jul 1798 Cullompton, Devon
« on: Friday 25 January 19 10:23 GMT (UK) »
I am descended from this couple and am trying to confirm Sarah's date and place of birth and the names and details of her parents, believed to be William and Elizabeth Channon, but not confirmed.
Also any details of John Squire's family would be appreciated. I believe he was born or baptised 28 Oct 1761 in Cullompton and his parents were John and Elizabeth nee White.
Moss, White, Bray, Scott, Raymond, Randell, Underdown, Squire, Herring, Nottle,  Brook(e)s, Mugg, Hopping, McInnes, Fleming, Fairchild, Polkinghorn(e), Hicks, Glasson,

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Channon m. John Squire 10 Jul 1798 Cullompton, Devon
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 January 19 10:41 GMT (UK) »
Another Sarah;

SARAH Channon Baptised 29 Mar 1769, St Andrew, Cullompton
Birth 12 March 1769
Father JOHN Channon (Mr)
Notes Brought to Church having been privately baptd.

Burial same Church;
15 Nov 1793 JOHN Channon (Mr)

Source FreeREG

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline sueappleton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 January 19 10:58 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Trish!  This could be my Sarah, I will look into it!

Sue.
Moss, White, Bray, Scott, Raymond, Randell, Underdown, Squire, Herring, Nottle,  Brook(e)s, Mugg, Hopping, McInnes, Fleming, Fairchild, Polkinghorn(e), Hicks, Glasson,

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 25 January 19 11:10 GMT (UK) »
Your welcome.

Burials 1824/1825 Plymtree have John age 63 and Sarah age 54
So c 1771 for Sarah, close enough I would say.

John Channon may have left a Will naming his children and their married names.

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline sueappleton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 25 January 19 11:17 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again!  Very much appreciated.
I noticed that you quoted your source as FreeReg.  This is a source I was unaware of, and I am looking into it right now!

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 26 January 19 08:05 GMT (UK) »
FreeREG is a great resource that is transctibed from Parish Registers by volunteers, wonderful people they are.

It is also good to use the soundex option for some names as they can be spelt differently eg Haynes/Haines etc.

If you have any more queries re this Family just add to this one.

Trish :)

Offline DRH123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 26 January 19 21:46 GMT (UK) »
The John Squire in 1761 was baptised on the 28th Oct, born on the 8th. His father was John but his mother wasn't recorded. He appears to have a sister Elizabeth baptised there a couple of years later, so Elizabeth is certainly plausible for his mother's name. I can't see any trace of a marriage in Devon  between John Squire and Elizabeth White. There is an entry in the Cullompton marriage register for John Squire of Plymptree, widower, and Betty Martin, spinster on 3 July 1761 by licence, but it is incomplete, having no signatures. The licence is available on Familysearch, same date, no venue specified. Perhaps they married at Plymtree. Unfortunately there seems to be a gap in the registers there, one ends in 1759 and the next starts in 1762.

David

Offline DRH123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 27 January 19 00:24 GMT (UK) »
Ah, I see the marriage with Elizabeth White is shown in several Ancestry trees, and took place in Worcestershire in 1739! She is mostly shown as born in 1712, making her 54 when the daughter Elizabeth was born. Some have 1718, making her "only" 48. Squire appears to be a fairly common name in the Cullompton area, I would want some firm evidence before giving those trees any credence, and they don't seem to have any at all.

I notice the younger John Squire was also a widower from Plymtree, when he married Sarah Channon. His first wife appears to have been Dorothy Adams, married at Cullompton in 1788. They had a daughter Elizabeth baptised at Plymtree in 1791 and Dorothy was buried there in 1795.

David