Author Topic: Help with William James Carson and Catherine O'Connell -married 1892  (Read 328 times)

Offline EmmaInOtherland

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help with William James Carson and Catherine O'Connell -married 1892
« on: Friday 25 January 19 11:31 GMT (UK) »
I've hit a bit of a brick wall with William James Carson, who was born in Ballymoney, Antrim, NI in 1867 and settled in Glasgow. I have his birth certificate and death certificate, both of which state his mother is Catherine Long and his father John Carson. His daughter Margaret Mary Carson's birth certificate has he and his wife Catherine O'Connell as marrying 2 June 1892 in Glasgow. I have found a certificate for a William Carson and a Katie O'Connell marrying on that exact date in Blackfriars, Glasgow. But the spanner is thrown in to the works when I read his mother as being 'Jannet Scott- deceased'.

I do have William's mother Catherine Long's death cert and can see she passed away in Glasgow in 1873. His father John would have been around 35 years old then, so I have searched to see if he married again, but have drawn a blank.

Have I found the wrong marriage certificate for William James and Catherine O'Connell? Or did he perhaps marry again?

If you have any clues or pointers, it would be great as it may help me break down this brick wall.

Thanks for your help!

Offline capricorn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Help with William James Carson and Catherine O'Connell -married 1892
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 January 19 12:54 GMT (UK) »

His death cert. of 1929 has his parents as John Carson and Catherine Long.
Signed by son in law Thomas Murphy

Ammended......Just noticed you already have his death cert  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Re: Help with William James Carson and Catherine O'Connell -married 1892
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 January 19 14:43 GMT (UK) »
It is possible that at the time of his marriage that his father had indeed remarried (to Jannet Scott) and that he (William) considered her to be his mother at that time. Although no paper record appears to be available it is perfectly possible that this second marriage was an "irregular" marriage. (I really dislike that term  ::) )

However there is sufficient uncertainty to require further investigation - have you checked census records to try and trace the family or another avenue if John died in Scotland his death record may give further insight.