Author Topic: what happened to them?  (Read 1124 times)

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: what happened to them?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 25 January 19 22:19 GMT (UK) »
His WW1 documents are here: http://central.bac-lac.gc.ca/.item/?op=pdf&app=CEF&id=B2860-S041  Very slow to load!

It does name his wife and 2 girls, and shows that Della did receive his pay throughout his service to 1919, but I can't really tell if he went back to Canada upon discharge.   His discharge was at the Toronto office, but whether that means he was physically there, I don't know.   A lot of pages are barely readable, so tracking his movements is difficult.  He did serve in both England and France though. 

I only took a quick look; it is highly possible I missed something that says if he sailed back or not.

Offline lucretia666

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 25 January 19 23:18 GMT (UK) »
hi all,

polar bear, thank you for the info on the ancestry site, i sadly dont have it now as it was costing more than i was using it... may have to get back onto that x

BBart, wow thank you so much, he has been a tricky so and so to trace. the rumour in the family is..... he joined the army (no one knew where, either england or canada) came to england and went awol, presumed dead everyone in canada, but he had stayed in england and made a new family but by this time he had changed his surname to wright. we believe that something happened to his unit the day he went awol, and thats when they found out he had abandoned the army, hence the name change!
thank you so very much again for your time and efforts, i really do appreciate them xx
peters, ware, wright, glue, glew, elgie, tippins, phillips, cockram, harding,

Offline dbree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 26 January 19 00:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

You're welcome. :)

John did come back to Canada March 5, 1919 on the ship Megantic to Halifax, Nova Scotia,
with the military, officially discharged, no mention of him being AWOL in his service file
that bbart found.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-61GF-R5?i=15&cc=1823240

There is a UK Incoming Passenger List, Sept. 24, 1919 on the ship Minnedosa, Montreal, Quebec
to Liverpool.
Elgie, John, age 27, farmer, going to 89 Stockton St, Stockton on Tees

DB

Offline lucretia666

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 26 January 19 10:45 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for all the wonderful help, links, etc.

This is now a whole new game with him!

thank you all for your time and help, no doubt you will be hearing from me soon lol
xx
peters, ware, wright, glue, glew, elgie, tippins, phillips, cockram, harding,