Author Topic: No cause of death given  (Read 843 times)

Offline GenesA

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
No cause of death given
« on: Friday 25 January 19 14:40 GMT (UK) »
I ordered a certificate for a childís death which occurred in Thornbury in 1840. The child (who was illegitimate) was 4 years old and died a few months after his mother. The date of death, residence etc. were all included on the certificate except the cause of death which was left blank.

Why would this have been?  ???

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Falkyrn

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Re: No cause of death given
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 January 19 14:50 GMT (UK) »
There was no compulsory requirement for a medical practitioner to attend any deaths until much later in the century. Often the information would have been given by a family member and they would either guess or just not know the cause.
Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline GenesA

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 January 19 14:56 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Falkyrn. The informant was Mary Ann Tobbins and I donít think she was a relation (that I know of yet). That may explain things.

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 25 January 19 15:02 GMT (UK) »
I have a death cert where my 3rd gt grandmother registered her daughter in law's death (my 2nd gt grandmother). It was just after registration started in 1838 and it was also a couple of years after her son's death and she refused to say why she'd died.
Lloyd, Paddock, Cooper, Morris, Darby, Rigby, Platt, Armstrong. All based in West Midlands

GEDmatch M157477

Offline GenesA

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 25 January 19 15:07 GMT (UK) »
I have a death cert where my 3rd gt grandmother registered her daughter in law's death (my 2nd gt grandmother). It was just after registration started in 1838 and it was also a couple of years after her son's death and she refused to say why she'd died.

Thatís a strange one, isnít it?  :-\

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 25 January 19 15:37 GMT (UK) »
Until 1874 entering the cause of death was not a legal requirement, but from 1874 a doctor's certificate was necessary before a death certificate could be issued. Between 1858 and 1874 the entry should indicate whether the cause had been 'certified' or 'not certified' by a medical practitioner. See  http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=683765.msg5281546#msg5281546

Stan
Mapstone, Mapston.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rutht22000

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 25 January 19 15:41 GMT (UK) »

Hi

I've seen 'Decline' come up on a few of the death certificates I've had for family and I don't think it's decline in the context that we use it for now i.e refusal (although it might be).  Death certificates could be quite vague back then and as far as I know decline was used for a gradual wasting away of someone/some kind of wasting disease.
Jeacock
Colebourne
Shepherd
Scotter
Sievers
Knowles
Pritchard
Lilley
Hart/Hertz
Woodmansey
Monnington
Thomas (South Wales)
John (South Wales)
Pearce (South Wales)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 25 January 19 15:43 GMT (UK) »

Does it actually say she refused to give a cause of death? 'Decline' was quite common on death certificates as a cause of death. There's at least one RC thread mentioning this-
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=366971.0
Please do NOT ask for lookups by Personal Message.

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 25 January 19 15:45 GMT (UK) »
There's a line through the section used for reason for death as though the section is not to be used and decline used as the reason for it's none use.
Lloyd, Paddock, Cooper, Morris, Darby, Rigby, Platt, Armstrong. All based in West Midlands

GEDmatch M157477