Author Topic: Seeking information on Bannister's from England to Canada  (Read 2742 times)

Offline Sherry L. Shane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Seeking information on Bannister's from England to Canada
« on: Friday 25 January 19 17:20 GMT (UK) »
I don't know much about my father's side and my mother isn't very helpful.

This is what we know: My father is a living male B Bannister, he has a living brother Bannister, and a sister Penny Bannister who died in 1998.

My father's parents are possibly still living which may explain why I can't find information on them anywhere. We believe their names are D and G Bannister. D Bannister may have been born in Canada or England as my mother feels certain my father told her that his grandmother "Irene" came to Canada from England, not sure if she came with her husband and child or if she met her husband here.

My father's grandparent's we know are a deceased male Bannister, and a "Irene" Bannister (don't know maiden name). Irene may be her real name, middle name, nickname. Not sure, as my father only ever referred to her as his Grandma Irene and that she was from England. I am pretty sure his grandparents are deceased.

We also think that they may have lived or some still live in British Columbia, Canada. Myself, my father, his brother, and possibly his parents live in Ontario, Canada.

If anyone has any potentially related information or tips on how I can find out more information it would be very much appreciated. I literally can't find anything other than Penny's death notice and nothing about her siblings, parents or grandparents. In the mean time I am waiting on results from a ancestry dna test to see if it comes up with any potential living blood relatives on my dads side because I have been stuck in my search for a long time! I don't know what else to do!

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking information on Bannister's from England to Canada
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 January 19 17:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Welcome to RootsChat

If you have read the rules of the site, we cannot post about living people.

Quote : Please do not post requests asking for help to find (possibly) living relatives or friends.
RootsChat is a forum for searching for ancestors. Anything posted on the internet is in the public domain where anybody can see this information. To protect people and their identities we do not encourage the posting of information about people who are or maybe still living.
Even with permission from the subject of a post we would seriously advise against giving too much information as to betray their identity.

https://www.rootschat.com/help/posting_guide.php

There is a "D" and "G" Bannister on Canada Voters List 1965/68 Bowmanville RR2 Durham Ontario in 1965 - "D" worked for Goodyear

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 January 19 17:33 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat

Couple of questions.

How old was Penny when she died?

Was her death registered as Penny or Penelope Bannister or under a married surname?

What year was your father born?

Rootschat has a no living persons policy so please do not post names of anybody who may still be alive
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 25 January 19 17:40 GMT (UK) »
This looks like the one you refer to............
Obituary Daily Times Index - Penny (bannister) Moorcroft born about 1961 and passed away 1998 Oshawa Ontario - publication date 21 Aug 1998 United States.

Mentioned on Bowmanville Cemetery- Section AA, Bowmanville, Ontario, Canada along with husband Harvey David Moorcroft

https://durham.ogs.on.ca/cemeteries/BowmanvilleAA.pdf

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 25 January 19 17:51 GMT (UK) »
A tree on Ancestry shows her husband as Harvey David Moorcroft 1955-2009 - died 29.6.2009 Ajax Durham Co.  Penny is shown as Penny A and they married 7th May 1979.  Penny was born 2.4.1961 but no parentage shown

Have you looked for a death or obituary for Irene which would at least show her age and give details of her husbands name to enable you to trace a marriage

Alternatively - speak to your father or his brother for information re: their parents
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Sherry L. Shane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 26 January 19 16:55 GMT (UK) »
Sorry about that. I am not sure who is living aside from I know penny is dead. I don't know my dad's side of the family, we left when I was 2yrs old. I am pretty sure penny is just penny and she died when she was like 37 and had 2 maybe 3 son's. Nothing about her parents or grandparents is mentioned anywhere. I am not even sure if her grandmother's real name was Irene that's just what they refer to her as and I don't have her maiden name or her husband's first name. No one can tell me anything other than what I know already. I have found Bannister's married to Irene's but I don't know if they are the right people without more information. How can I find out more without any other info to know for sure I found the right people?

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 26 January 19 17:23 GMT (UK) »
Subject to any restrictions in Canada

You could buy a copy of Penny’s birth cert.  Her full birthdate is shown above.

If Canadian marriage certs show parents names - you could buy a copy of your parents marriage cert or of Penny’s as her date of marriage is shown above

Have you looked in telephone directories for Bannister or Moorcroft entries in Bowmanville and contacted them to see if they are related?

Offline woodlandsgirl

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 30 July 22 23:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Sherry,
Not sure if I can help you but I did know a Bannister family in Ontario who later moved to BC
Not sure who your dad is so not sure if I have anything different to add but your initials are the same as the names I know and there was also a Penny who passed away in the Bannister family I know.
If there is a way to chat privately let me know. If it turns out to be the same family I have a couple pics to share for you. I know what’s it’s like to want answers.