Author Topic: Father in uniform.  (Read 221 times)

Offline doch

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Father in uniform.
« on: Friday 25 January 19 18:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi all, these photo's were discovered in a drawer of an elderly uncle who sadly passed away a couple of weeks ago. until the last four years neither I nor my siblings had much info of what part my father played in WW2 as he never spoke of it and we were discouraged from asking.a few years ago I decided to search for my dads army records which after a bit of to-ing and fro-ing I managed to successfully apply for both his records and his medals and found out he served with the royal artillery as a gunner.i had never seen any photos of dad in uniform so was delighted when these pics turned up. I know their not in the worst of condition but could someone give them a wee clean up and maybe even a wee bit of colour if it's not a big ask?

Regards,John.
docherty glasgow/ireland
king glasgow/ireland
burns glasgow/ireland
gillon/sligo    mcaffrey/fermanagh
young glasgow/ireland

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
Re: Father in uniform.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 January 19 05:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi, John.
I've had a go at your pics, but I think you would get a better result with the second and third one (most particularly the third one) if you could manage to send in a higher resolution scan. And, sorry but I'm not much good at colouring.
Cheers,
Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Online Trishanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 January 19 11:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi John, I agree with Peter that you would get better results with a better scan. In the meantime here is my attempt at colouring your photos.
Pat 
Bownass - Lancashire & Westmorland
Hoggarth - Lancashire & Westmorland
Jackson- Lancaster
Waller - Dent, Yorkshire dales
Omerod - Lancashire
Redburn - Lancashire
Evans - Hereford

RESTORERS please do not use my restores without my permission THANK YOU

Offline russell12

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 January 19 12:46 GMT (UK) »
Hello John,

I could definitely have a good go at colourising the second photo for you - if provided with a high res. scan :)

In regards to the first photo - I'd say the facial features of the two standing men are too faded out/blurred to gain any good sense of realism from a colourisation... but I'm not sure if that's because of the quality of the photo taken, there wouldn't be any chance of getting a crisper photo of this one as well?

Offline doch

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 27 January 19 14:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi all, thanks a million for your clean ups they’re all fantastic. The reason why the resolution is bad is the pictures I posted were sent to me by email,the chap who sent them photographed the original pictures with an iPhone and attached them to the email. I received the email from a friend of my cousin who’s father ( my uncle) passed away and the pics were found in his house.
I’all try and see can I get the man to send me the original photos so I can scan them,but I don’t know this man personally so i can’t say if that will happen.
docherty glasgow/ireland
king glasgow/ireland
burns glasgow/ireland
young glasgow/ireland

Offline doch

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 27 January 19 18:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi,i emailed the chap re the pics,i asked him to contact my cousin for him to send me either the original photo's or a scan of.
I'll just have to wait and see if he gets back to me.
 cheers and thanks again.
docherty glasgow/ireland
king glasgow/ireland
burns glasgow/ireland
young glasgow/ireland