Author Topic: James or Thomas Keenan 1800  (Read 4017 times)

Offline Puffin81

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James or Thomas Keenan 1800
« Reply #45 on: Thursday 21 February 19 17:53 GMT (UK) »
The certificates have started to arrive, although I still havent found the children’s 1st marriages to get their certificates in the hope of finding snippets of info, bi I have got James / thomas wofes death certificate which confirms James was her husbands name

I did beleive from the marriage certificate that James was a soldier, but it doesn’t look like soldier to me on this one, can anyone read it?

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Thursday 21 February 19 18:55 GMT (UK) »
The certificates have started to arrive, although I still havent found the children’s 1st marriages to get their certificates in the hope of finding snippets of info, bi I have got James / thomas wofes death certificate which confirms James was her husbands name

I did beleive from the marriage certificate that James was a soldier, but it doesn’t look like soldier to me on this one, can anyone read it?
Labourer?
  Labourer might have been his last known occupation. He might has become too old or unfit for military service or reached the end of the period of years he'd signed up for. First husband of an ancestor of mine was a soldier in Ireland when they married. He'd left army and was a labourer by the time his daughter was born 3 years later. Then he went back into uniform as a postman which was occupation on his death certificate.
The son may have chosen to say soldier rather than labourer at time of his marriage. On the other hand, perhaps James was alive and soldiering at time of the son's wedding.
When was the death cert? Was it later than the son's marriage?
I guess that Thomas may have been a clerical error somewhere along the line by registry office.
Where did you obtain the certificate which had Thomas on?
At least you know what to call him now.
Cowban

Offline Puffin81

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Thursday 21 February 19 19:00 GMT (UK) »
I obtained it from the register office and didn’t realise they were transcribed.

I’ve never found James for sure in the uk as his wife / family unit were without him in 1851 when I’ve first found them.  In 1858 his son Marrys and states his farther died, In 1861 his wife stayed widow.  So I’m guessing he died before 1851, or there is a chance early to mid 1850s but was elsewhere working

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Thursday 21 February 19 19:14 GMT (UK) »
I obtained it from the register office and didn’t realise they were transcribed.
Was it from GRO?
There is a procedure for pointing out possible errors. You need to provide proof. You would need to ask the local registry office to check which name is on original certificate first.
Cowban

Offline Puffin81

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Thursday 21 February 19 19:18 GMT (UK) »
Was it from GRO?
There is a procedure for pointing out possible errors. You need to provide proof. You would need to ask the local registry office to check which name is on original certificate first.

Yes I’ve failed the procedure as I didn’t raise it within 3 months, when I found the parish records so they said I needed to re purchase then complain if the 2nd certificate was incorrect