Author Topic: James or Thomas Keenan 1800  (Read 4028 times)

Offline Puffin81

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James or Thomas Keenan 1800
« Reply #36 on: Monday 28 January 19 00:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Sorry
Not that helpful
Just another thought.  You have info from military records. It seems very brief compared to some I have for a gggrandfather at this era.   Have you double checked there isn’t a fuller record anywhere?  I got mine from Kew but I think you have to us3 one of the agencies now. It did give  a confirmation of birth place down to a tiny village in zDorset and a better age and details of occupations and where he was discharged and why - Carlisle Castle

I think I actually found a birth for him a couple of days ago after many mysterious years. Not helped by using differing surnames with no reason I can see.!

Good hunting!  Best wishes

Emms

I think my big obstacle is doubt over name, guessed dob, and either way quite a common name, so I need to get more info to narrow down my search, right now for all I know Jane made up here name and was a hooker who made up a fake dad for her illegitimate kids 🤷🏼‍♀️

I was hoping to confirm his name, maybe dob or where he was from with either baptism records for the kids, early Irish census with the kids or marriage record, so far nothing.  I know at somepoint later in life his son was in the work house, which I only found by luck as his surname / first name was muddled maybe they recorded a birthplace.  I’m not ready to give up on this section yet

Offline Puffin81

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 29 January 19 17:25 GMT (UK) »
Awww the records office told me the workhouse records for the period I’m interested in don’t exist, which is disappointing since the website indicates they exist

Offline emmsthheight

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 29 January 19 17:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Not sure which work house you’re interested in. I’ve used Cockermouth records but not Carlisle

Also you might need the right area branch of Cumbria record office  I only found Cockermouth in Whitehaven

I think they may be on line by now

Best wishes

Emms
Hoey : Louth, Dublin, Lancashire,
Diggle: Pendleton Lancashire,
Stickley: Dorset, Lancashire
Bockmann, Boedemann etc Artist, Europe and London

English Merchants in Brazil and Portugal especially Carruthers family

1st Battalion Connaught rangers WW1

Website:  Look  out for new website coming soon to replace Fells and Seas

Offline Puffin81

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 29 January 19 22:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Not sure which work house you’re interested in. I’ve used Cockermouth records but not Carlisle

Also you might need the right area branch of Cumbria record office  I only found Cockermouth in Whitehaven

I think they may be on line by now

Best wishes

Emms

Interesting
Kendal, I was looking for.  How did you find out you needed Whitehaven fir Cockermouth?

Offline emmsthheight

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 30 January 19 00:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I knew they weren’t in Carlisle

Also although all the Cumbria record offices have a copy of all the registers on the whole other original records are kept only at the local record office thoughsome have been digitised

So worth visiting locally. Not quite that simple due to for one thing not splitting an archive
When I went to Whitehavenvthe local office for Cockermouth I awash pleased to see the records

The online index should tell you though

Good luck

Emms
Hoey : Louth, Dublin, Lancashire,
Diggle: Pendleton Lancashire,
Stickley: Dorset, Lancashire
Bockmann, Boedemann etc Artist, Europe and London

English Merchants in Brazil and Portugal especially Carruthers family

1st Battalion Connaught rangers WW1

Website:  Look  out for new website coming soon to replace Fells and Seas

Offline Puffin81

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 07 February 19 21:22 GMT (UK) »
So, I got a copy of the church record, it definitely states James Keenan as bartholomews dad (where as the certificate states Thomas)

It gives a residence for the dad, I think James Keenan is in Carlisle, but I can’t read Patrick O’Neil’s residence.  Plus the marriage certificate states they are both dead

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Friday 08 February 19 15:37 GMT (UK) »
It definitely looks like James.
Are you sure that the places are fathers' abodes  and not abodes of groom and bride?

PS. Have you not been able to find a marriage of Bartholomew's brother to see what name he put for his father?
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Friday 08 February 19 15:49 GMT (UK) »
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=806907.0;topicseen
Reply #1 on the above thread has image of marriage certificate showing father's name was Thomas and "deceased" written under his name.
Cowban

Offline Puffin81

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Friday 08 February 19 16:45 GMT (UK) »
It definitely looks like James.
Are you sure that the places are fathers' abodes  and not abodes of groom and bride?

PS. Have you not been able to find a marriage of Bartholomew's brother to see what name he put for his father?

Not conclusively, I’m working on finding the brothers marriage, looks like the sister was married in Ireland so that’s not going to help

Waiting on checking the certificate name as you know that said Thomas, so one of them is the wrong name.  Might just re order

Re the fathers abode I’m hoping that might mean they came to britain and died in Britain and they just gave the last known residence  as I might be able to get more info there.    Rather than the couple just making things up, I think if they didn’t want their fathers to be traceable they would have said Ireland so I have hope

Anyways enough of me rambling