Author Topic: Seeking help to locate birth of Arthur Davis  (Read 1487 times)

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking help to locate birth of Arthur Davis
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 26 January 19 02:53 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for your interest and help.

Mckha489, that is the son of Arthur and Kate, as per the birth certificate I have.

Avm228, thank you for all your help. Ellen Alice is my grandmother, and I have both my mothers and grandmothers birth certificates which all prove that Arthur Davis is my GGrandfather. Unfortunately, I do not have a birth certificate for Arthur, for obvious reasons.
Thomas Edward Davis I am not at all sure about, not having found any thing about him so far.

Having checked all the children of Thomas and Elizabeth on the GRO site, I fully accept that Elizabeth Pudney is the mother I am looking for. I did not have knowledge of the GRO site when I first searched for Arthur, otherwise I might have had a different result.

The one consistent data about the mother, Elizabeth, was in the birthplace of Braintree, which threw me off regarding the correct Elizabeth, as I could not find a birth detail for Elizabeth Butler.

I will now have to do some work on my family tree to update it to the new information you have all provided.

Again many thanks to all of you for your interest and help.

AC

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 26 January 19 03:49 GMT (UK) »
I note that Walter and Ellen are with their paternal grandparents in Chelmsford in 1881.

I think his second 'wife' was a Sarah Masters who was in Newington in 1871 although I can find no marriage between her and Arthur (can't find a death for Kate either).

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 27 January 19 02:03 GMT (UK) »
I note that Walter and Ellen are with their paternal grandparents in Chelmsford in 1881.

I think his second 'wife' was a Sarah Masters who was in Newington in 1871 although I can find no marriage between her and Arthur (can't find a death for Kate either).

Annette
Annette, that is another of the problems I have been having with Arthur.

The closest I can find regarding Kate's death is in Dover, but cannot be at all certain that it is the correct person.

I will have to have a go at finding out more about Sarah, but as she is not a direct ancestor, I have not followed her up so far.

I will admit that much of the information I acquired was before I got onto Ancestry, at the library and then at home. I am also grateful for Rootschatters for pointing out the GRO site which I have only recently found out about, and which has dis/proved certain births.

Again, thank you for your help.

AC