Author Topic: Elizabeth Crossley, possible clean up of photo WRY Crossley  (Read 2482 times)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Crossley, possible clean up of photo WRY Crossley
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 02 February 19 23:53 GMT (UK) »
Well, this looks likely as the family my wife is connected to had relatives with slaves and plantations in the West Indies, but as I say I shall need to do an extensive check. Seems a big coincidence though.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline russell12

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: !!
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 03 February 19 14:13 GMT (UK) »

Do you have any more info on the following;

- Mr. Edmund Knowles Binns; Louisa Crossley's master. If you found a household census it may list Elizabeth as a lodger?
MR AND MRS BINNS ONLY MARRIED THE PREVIOUS YEAR, 1882.  AND THAT'S A WHOLE OTHER STORY!  THEY MET THROUGH A LONELY HEARTS COLUMN, AND HER BROTHER HIRED HEAVIES TO TRY AND PREVENT THE MARRIAGE!  HE WAS A WELL KNOWN SOLICITOR AND SHE WAS AN HEIRESS.

I didn't even know that they had a 'Lonely Hearts Columns' back then! ;D

Well, you've definitely got some interesting family stories to tell. It would be very ironic if that was a prayer stool in Elizabeth's picture  :P

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 05 February 19 21:13 GMT (UK) »
My Crossleys are as follows: Isaac Crossley b c1684 Penistone No record of wife children Ann (Hannah) b 1716 Penistone, Benn b1726 Penistone m Hannah Gillam 10.12.1750 Penistone daughter Ann (Hannah) b Penistone 1751 son Leonard Crossley b1767 Penistone (No record of father) m Rebecca Senior (b Silkstone 1781) 18.10.1792 Silkstone ( I am suspicious of the birthdate, though just about possible a marriage at 12 is unlikely even in this era) They had 9 known children Hephzibah (B1795) Mary (b1797) George (b1798) John Senior (b1799)Henry (B1801) Susannah (b1801)Joseph (b1803) Richard (b1806) Francis (b1808) The only known birthplace is Susannah , and it is Silkstone.
A search for Crossley on this site will provide over 60 links, many of which are relevant. Apparently Susannah lived at WaterHall  nr. Penistone, and there is some connection to the Crossleys of Halifax. The Crossleys of Water Hall had plantations in the West Indies. I hope this is helpful.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Claire64

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 06 February 19 20:55 GMT (UK) »
My Crossleys are as follows: Isaac Crossley b c1684 Penistone No record of wife children Ann (Hannah) b 1716 Penistone, Benn b1726 Penistone m Hannah Gillam 10.12.1750 Penistone daughter Ann (Hannah) b Penistone 1751 son Leonard Crossley b1767 Penistone (No record of father) m Rebecca Senior (b Silkstone 1781) 18.10.1792 Silkstone ( I am suspicious of the birthdate, though just about possible a marriage at 12 is unlikely even in this era) They had 9 known children Hephzibah (B1795) Mary (b1797) George (b1798) John Senior (b1799)Henry (B1801) Susannah (b1801)Joseph (b1803) Richard (b1806) Francis (b1808) The only known birthplace is Susannah , and it is Silkstone.
A search for Crossley on this site will provide over 60 links, many of which are relevant. Apparently Susannah lived at WaterHall  nr. Penistone, and there is some connection to the Crossleys of Halifax. The Crossleys of Water Hall had plantations in the West Indies. I hope this is helpful.

I am not sure what the connection is but I'd be happy to look into it.  I am not sure if we've corresponded before, many years ago, by Snail Mail!  I have a tree drawn going back to Leonard and Rebecca but never made a connection to my own tree. I have a brief note about a possible relationship of this family to the Halifax Crossleys.  My own line goes back from my elusive great great grandmother Elizabeth Crossley (1851) through , Charles Crossley, John Crossley and Mary Thickett, John Crossley and Martha Raynor, John (1728, Langsett) and Ann, then his father Benjamin.  The slavery connection comes from Benjamin's other son Isaac  of Netherhouse.  His son Benjamin (1774) went to Jamaica.  That family is fascinating.  If you want to get in touch, please PM me.
Pearson (Bradwell Dby & Stocksbridge)
Donkersley
Crawshaw (Bradfield)
Evans (Bradwell Dby and Stocksbridge)
Crossley (Penistone)
Rogers (Nottinghamshire & Stocksbridge)
Poynton / Pointon (Derbyshire)
Day (Barnsley WRY and Iowa USA)
Scargill (Barnsley)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 07 February 19 09:59 GMT (UK) »
Claire, You need to remove your email address as it is against Rootschat Privacy policy. It is best to contact him by personal message, you can do this by clicking on the text icon on the left beneath his name.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Claire64

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 07 February 19 12:45 GMT (UK) »
Claire, You need to remove your email address as it is against Rootschat Privacy policy. It is best to contact him by personal message, you can do this by clicking on the text icon on the left beneath his name.
Carol
oops, sorry, I didn't know that.  Thanks
Pearson (Bradwell Dby & Stocksbridge)
Donkersley
Crawshaw (Bradfield)
Evans (Bradwell Dby and Stocksbridge)
Crossley (Penistone)
Rogers (Nottinghamshire & Stocksbridge)
Poynton / Pointon (Derbyshire)
Day (Barnsley WRY and Iowa USA)
Scargill (Barnsley)