Author Topic: Parish record browse on Ancestry?  (Read 593 times)

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Parish record browse on Ancestry?
« on: Saturday 26 January 19 09:30 GMT (UK) »
I have been using Findmypast for a while and find it quite easy to use. I am quite new to Ancestry and find it more problematic. I’ve found some entries in a family tree, which seems to be reliable, but am unable to locate the original parish records for a couple when using the search fields. Is there a way to locate a parish register and then browse through it? I’m not finding a baptism in 1675 in Bledington, Glos., for example. It may be that they are indexed under a bizarre transcription: some certainly are. On Findmypast I would know whether the register was accessible on that site.

Dave :)
ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Parish record browse on Ancestry?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 January 19 09:40 GMT (UK) »
Baptism records for Bledington only appear from 1813 onwards at Ancestry.

To go to parish records, and then browse.

Home page - select Birth, Marriage and Death including Parish
Then select UK Parish Records
Then scroll down to locate the county or other heading for the collection you require

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 26 January 19 09:51 GMT (UK) »
They are there and I found them through going to Card Catalogue and then Gloucestershire Parish records and also just a general search for Bledington.
If you look for Bledington Parish records on FS there is also a link to Ancestry.

That is the good news. The bad news seems to be that pg 52 of the parish records is 1673 and page 53 is 1677.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 26 January 19 10:30 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks. Found them now. It looks as if they are just gappy B.T.’s at this time.

Dave :)
ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight