Author Topic: Marriage lookup request - Ipswich St Matthew / 16 Jun 1811  (Read 200 times)

Offline gobbitt

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage lookup request - Ipswich St Matthew / 16 Jun 1811
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 05 February 19 19:26 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I didn't see this request earlier. I looked at the original marriage register many years ago and noted these details from page 88:

Ipswich St Matthew 16 June 1811
James Smyth of this parish, bachelor
m. by licence
Sarah Harriet Skitter of same, spinster
Both signed ("S. H. Skitter")
Withesses: John ?Skitter, Thos. Ward, Mary Blomfield?

Images of the NCC marriage licence bond and allegation are available at FamilySearch.org.

Being more interested in the Smyth family, I haven't researched Sarah's ancestry beyond the potential wedding of her parents (Thomas Skitter and Sarah Aston?) at Polstead in 1761 (Suffolk FHS index).

I found nothing to connect my Smyth ancestors with the children of James and Sarah, who include the celebrated artists Edward Robert Smythe (c.1815-1899) and Thomas Smythe (1825-1906) as well as Elizabeth Garrett (c.1818-1884) and Emma Taylor (c.1819-1877).

But I did establish to my satisfaction that James (c.1778-1843) was a son of the watchmaker James Smyth of Saxmundham, Woodbridge and Ipswich (c.1742-1828) and Elizabeth née Gooodall (d. 1795?) who were probably both buried at Grundisburgh, where they had married in 1766.

David

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.